Page 213 of 433 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    I always thought you saw caseloads increase around 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after, hospitalizations closer to a month, and deaths a week or two after that?

Which is not good, 'cause we're already in trouble with hospital capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I always thought you saw caseloads increase around 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after, hospitalizations closer to a month, and deaths a week or two after that?

Yup!

That's what I meant. Caseload peak starts to drop at the 1 month spot after major event.

And yeah, we are fucked.

But I'm just over here waving my arms like a lunatic, while people tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Not like I didn't go to school for this EXACT thing.

Those people. Possibly a bit like certain people who talk shit about or feel compelled to "explain" a country or place (or their stance on it) they've never even been to, let alone lived in.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; December 8th, 2020 at 04:41 PM.

Junior Potato
    Feels like when I was having a 'discussion' on Facebook about this topic, and someone said that it looks like I need to do a little research.

First thing I did was stalk their profile to make sure they weren't a doctor or something. The presence of alcohol, footy, and hi-viz work shirt images confirmed this.

Then I retorted with: Yeah I suppose I could go to uni for a decade and become a virologist and learn the nitty-gritty details of how viruses like COVID-19 spread through the community and how to treat the ensuing pneumonia and cytokine storm among its victims.

Or I could listen to virologists and medical experts who are already experts.

Do you listen to them?

I then got accused of appealing to authority (for which there is a very good argument as to why we should listen to the experts rather than idiots and politicians) in a very long-winded reply.

To which I said: OK.

In certain more extreme cases, the response will often be "Open your eyes sheeple" or similar. In some other countries or circles, even less extreme positions would often be incorporate some unproductive and inflammatory anti-mask and/or "Chinaflu/Chinavirus/China plague" stuff.

Pro tip, ask them if they get their information from news sites, google, or Google scholar.

When they find Google scholar, they usually get freaked out and drop the discussion entirely.

Real evidence, real support, scares the brain dead.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    In certain more extreme cases, the response will often be "Open your eyes sheeple" or similar
    Probably better suited to the politics thread, but one of my favorite things about QAnon types is that they'll call people sheeple but their catchphrase is "Where we go one, we go all." That's literally what sheep do.

I guess that’s the main difference between sheep and sheople?

Probably better suited to the politics thread, but one of my favorite things about QAnon types is that they'll call people sheeple but their catchphrase is "Where we go one, we go all." That's literally what sheep do.
    Yup. That's the funniest part. Those who make the most noise about how something is evil etc. often adopt the same attitude that they purport to criticise as being, uh, evil.