Page 241 of 433 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    Definitely don't take it as gloating, but everything's relative. Having reached at least close to, if not beating, 20k cases a day only a month ago, having less than 1,000 is welcome relief.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Our kids went back to school on Tuesday of this week...

...Yesterday, Thursday, we got an email from the school informing us that someone in the Monday-Wednesday group tested positive and now they're asking everyone from one class (or "cohort") of that group to quarantine. That took all of four days, counting from Monday when half of the kids went back...

...This makes me think the people who run the schools have learned nothing from the last year. This crap was going on in what, April? June? August? November? And here we are again, doing the same things and somehow expecting different results.
    Got an email from the school yesterday announcing that they will no longer be emailing each time someone at our kids' school tests positive. Nope, now they've moved announcements to their website, so we now have to actively go looking for the information rather than receive it by email. Seems to me they're trying to hide the facts and present an "all is well" facade. If they don't tell us, it must not be happening, right?

And, to be honest, I won't be checking their website unless there's a massive breakout or other reason to do so. I assume that's what they're hoping for.

Here's how it looks today. It looks like there are MULTIPLE NEW CASES EVERY SINGLE DAY, yet in-person school continues.

And just yesterday I drove by the entrance of a grocery store and saw a guy (without a mask) standing behind a table. At first I thought it was Girl Scout Cookies for sale, but as I passed by, I saw the sign said "Return To School Full-Time!" or words to that effect. I assume he was gathering signatures on a petition.

I don't want to be an overly-worried hand-wringer, but I also don't want to see more and more people getting this virus (especially my family) when the school district could lower the chances so significantly by simply continuing online school for all but the youngest students.

I'm sure there are lots of things I don't know, but that's how I see it.

Administrator
    There's a big war on our local Nextdoor between (some) angry parents and the teacher's union. Teacher's union is demanding they not have to return to in-person teaching until teachers are vaccinated. The angry parents are demanding that their kids go back to in person learning and saying that the risk is minimal.

I personally fall on the side of "we've gone this far and vaccinations are so close - just keep doing remote until teachers can be vaccinated at the very least", but I also don't have kids, so I mostly try to stay out of it.

I get remote learning sucks compared to in-person, but the last time we had a pandemic like this, remote learning wasn't even an option. At least there's *something*, it's not just a straight year+ off of school entirely.

The weirdest part to me is that most of the people I see throwing a fit also seem like the type that also proudly proclaim they homeschool their kids, but maybe I'm just reading too much into that.

I really don’t understand the push to open schools. Why not just open everything and pretend it’s all just a flu like Trump?

I really feel sorry for teachers too.

It’s not like they’re highly paid. At least whenever there’s a budget cut, we almost always cut school budgets before prisons. Prisoners also get vaccine priority as well.

So for our teachers, low pay, no vaccines, forced by angry parents to do their jobs...

What is wrong with these parents?

I also like to know why Biden and dr Fauci are pushing to open schools within 100 days.

Are American kids going nuts at home that risk of spreading this virus is worth it? US economy cannot restart if parents are asked to babysit their own kids full time?

Seems school is considered important as its child minding. The powers are more worried about the parents being able to get back to work than they are about the kids education.

Yeah, that's a major thing. Peoples' lives are built around "My kids are gone and supervised for 8 hours a day, so that's when I can go to work." I don't know about your specific situation, billi - but a huge number of Americans have (or had pre-pandemic) both parents working full time, which makes having younger kids at home unsupervised a bit of a problem.
    And yeah - some teachers and some students can do just fine with online learning, but others just don't seem to be built for it - I know college students who do great with in-person classes, but just can't get into the swing of online courses for some reason. I think its at least partially due to a combination of time management being somehow different and having your attention span for sitting at a screen not being tuned to taking in information and learning.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    Definitely understand that pain point - I always thought that working from home all the time would be great, but I find it really hard to connect with my coworkers and also find meetings to be massively less helpful over zoom than in person. Mostly coming at that from the realm of "this could be so much worse", not that there's no room to find problems.

And after being in meetings where my coworkers suddenly have a room full of screaming kids who want attention, I definitely get how having younger kids at home unsupervised can cause a problem.

Yeah, this pandemic is a pain in the ass for everyone. Maybe we should just open everything up and treat it as flu if it's so hard to get people to take necessary precautions and vaccinate everyone. Even if we do have vaccines for everyone, not everyone's gonna take it anyways.

So fuck it? Why not just open things back up tomorrow? Why wait 100 days? Since we're so screwed anyway... not like Australia or Taiwan. We americans are tough. Who's afraid of this stupid virus?

Anyway, I just thought Biden is pushing for the wrong thing to be accomplished in 100 days.

What is more important here? Get this damn thing under control or give parents the ability to get back to work?

Or at least give people to option to go back to school or work. For those who believe this is just a flu and don't mind tough it out, let them. Also allow the students the same option? If they wish to party on campus and attend football games, go ahead. If you wish to study at home, go ahead. In the end, both groups will be given the same tests and graded accordingly. Teachers ought to be given the option too. To teach remotely or personally. As long as you get the job done?

Let's see which group does better and then we can gradually shift over.

Do you really agree with the goal of opening all schools in 100 days? Does that really make sense?

Seriously, that sounds like something Trump would do. Dr. Fauci is onboard with it too. It almost feels like Trump is still in office.

Hopefully Americans will see that stimulus check within 100 days of Biden's tenure. Glad to see them pushing so hard trying for bipartisanship. When that's obviously not happening, now they're pushing hard to get all dems to agree on $15 min wage... I'm hopeful our politicians will finally be able to squeeze out a check within 100 days of Biden's presidency to help out frustrated and possibly hungry parents!

Our political leaders have their priorities all messed up IMHO.

Luckily I do live in a free country. If our school district opens up and gave us no remote options, then I'm home schooling my daughter until the entire family can be vaccinated. I'm hoping LA county won't be that stupid.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 23rd, 2021 at 03:31 PM.

Administrator
    On the upside, 1.7 million doses of the vaccine have been administered in LA county, with 513,500 people having had both doses, for about one in twenty Angelenos.

On the downside, today LA County had its 20,000th covid death. That's one in every five hundred Angelenos.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 23rd, 2021 at 03:46 PM.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...nd-dose/?amp=1

CDC is at it again!

Recommending people to take their 2nd dose of the vaccine of different brands under exceptional circumstances...

Very interesting. Pfizer and Moderna have never mixed their shots during their clinical trials. So is such recommendation really scientifically based or politically based? Hmmm..., I wonder if we’ll ever fully drain the swamp Trump has created in our government. I hope it’s because of incompetent officials making such calls and not Biden pushing this in order to bump up #s of vaccinated people...