Page 259 of 433 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309359 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,590 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    On the topic of masks, we are halfway through our mandatory mask exercise. I don’t go out much due to my injury, but the few times I have I’ve noticed a handful of people not wearing them.

I do judge them in my head, quite harshly. But also, there may be a legitimate reason why they aren’t wearing one, and I’m not a cop, so it’s not my place to go around demanding that people don masks or properly pull them up over their noses.

There would be nothing worse than confronting someone about a mask and it turns out they have some disability, even though the chances would be small. Or worse: getting your eye poked out.
    I don't buy the "legit reasons." People I know who are legit immuno compromised, are scared. to. death. of this shit. The ones who have lung issues are staying home like they're lives depend on it.

A coworker just came back to work after taking unpaid COVID leave. For a year. She just came back.

We get people waving their albuterol inhalers at us talmbout "i have a medical exemption" and I respond with "lady I got one of those in my backpack, one on my motorcycle, one in my car, and one on my bed side table. I'm wearing two masks. Either put one on or leave our building." you can buy them shits on Amazon ffs. $29.99

I'm not saying there aren't cases where there may be a legit medical excuse. I'm saying the few people I know who are most likely to be really harmed by this, aren't taking it lightly.

So local hospital is back over capacity for covid and I guess they said they were going to wait until 20% test positivity rate before considering any restrictions.

This makes the school district look like genius though, they refused to go back to in person at all. Didn't help the cases at all because no one else in the county did but was obviously the right call

Administrator
    One of our local univerisities, Cal State LA, just announced Wed. night that they had tons of extra J&J vaccine and that walk-ins were welcome with no eligibility check. That made it to the LA Times and all over social media, and Thursday morning they were slammed and apparently started turning people away, but said if you have an appointment, you're fine. They also said they aren't doing eligibility checks on those appointments, they just want that to regulate how many people are there. I believe the quote was something like "If you have to say you're a teacher or something to register, don't worry, we won't check." So I did that, now I'm booked for tomorrow afternoon. Here's hoping they don't check.

There aren't any fucking legit reasons to not wear a mask. Especially if it's a simple medical/surgical mask, the super-lite ones.

If it fucks up your beard, too bad. Shave it off or modify it.
    If you have difficulty breathing because you're a smoker or severely out of shape, too bad. You can still breathe through them for minutes at a given time.
    If you have an actual medical breathing issue, like COPD or something (or, even worse, YOU USE AN OXYGEN TANK), then you're an EXTREME Covid risk and you probably shouldn't be out in public, regardless of mask.

I wear one, with brief breaks, for an entire 8 hour shift. I never ONCE have "difficulty breathing." Like, even close to it.

We have a customer here who has been spoken to numerous times for coming in without a mask, literally because "it messes up my beard, and no one messes up my beard!" Vain asshole.

I notice with our province-wide lockdown, Doug Ford made sure to keep "Marine and Pleasurecraft dealerships" open. Wouldn't want to piss off any of his rich buddy boat owners.

Administrator
    Hey, when Rob's your brother, you can do a lot of dumb things and still be considered the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    One of our local univerisities, Cal State LA, just announced Wed. night that they had tons of extra J&J vaccine and that walk-ins were welcome with no eligibility check. That made it to the LA Times and all over social media, and Thursday morning they were slammed and apparently started turning people away, but said if you have an appointment, you're fine. They also said they aren't doing eligibility checks on those appointments, they just want that to regulate how many people are there. I believe the quote was something like "If you have to say you're a teacher or something to register, don't worry, we won't check." So I did that, now I'm booked for tomorrow afternoon. Here's hoping they don't check.
    So you lied on the website in order to get an appointment?!?!? How can you sleep at night?!?!?!?

We were planning on doing that too, but a friend of a friend of a friend... of my wife who's a pharmacist at Walgreen told us yesterday that they screwed up and sent them too much Pfizer shots for the day... so we ended up driving 1.5 hr during traffic eastward to Upland in order to get our shots! Hopefully we'll be able to get our 2nd shots in time...

Previously we've asked around pharmacies around our neighborhood, none of them have any left overs... I guess we got lucky or I guess it pays to have a pharmacist friend, even if she's only known thru multiple degrees and probably somehow also connected to Kevin Bacon...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 9th, 2021 at 07:24 AM.

Administrator
    Heh, I've been holding out and not wanting to lie on the registration, but from what I gather the people running that site were basically begging people to come and get their shots. It sounds like if they limit it to only eligible people, the place is nearly a ghost town, so hopefully I'm not actually preventing anyone who should get it before me from actually getting it.

While I do understand we don't want to give rich white people too much special treatments, but it's sad to see Cal State LA being slammed for not wanting to waste their vaccines. Although it is probably much easier to store or return J&J vaccines back to suppliers to redistribute them appropriately?

I do wonder how much vaccines were wasted due to miscalculations, especially the Pfizer ones... The ones I received yesterday, the pharmacist said they made a massive calculation error... and had way too much at the end of the day... so that bottle probably will end up getting wasted. Perhaps I got a dose of an already expired Pfizer vaccine...

Considering how government mass surveyed us, they really should've just tracked each and every one of us down and send us invites to come to a designated location to get a shot in the order of our birthdays... If you don't want to come, fine... the invites will just keep on going down the list... and there should just be a website or public announcement of which age group we are currently...

Expecting the elderly folks to book their appointments online was probably not a reasonable thing to do. Also, when the floodgate opens officially for our age group, I can see that the one and only central website would crash?

Anyway, gotta have a lot of patience these days...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 9th, 2021 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    I notice with our province-wide lockdown, Doug Ford made sure to keep "Marine and Pleasurecraft dealerships" open. Wouldn't want to piss off any of his rich buddy boat owners.
    That reminded me of the Denver Prohibition of 2020. One day in late March 2020, the mayor declared that liquor and cannabis stores would close that day at 5:00 PM and stay closed for public safety reasons. I was at work that day in downtown Denver and as I drove home, I saw lines down the sidewalks outside liquor and cannabis stores. A couple hours later, the decision was reversed and these businesses were deemed essential for the public welfare.

Short article about it: https://www.5280.com/2021/03/oral-hi...aos-in-denver/

I've seen quite a few people wearing these shirts since then: