Page 270 of 433 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320370 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

We'll have to keep an eye on this and see if the trend really continues...

If true, then I guess it's time US start sharing more of these unused vaccines around the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    This is going to be the challenge going forward. There's probably enough people in the US that actively don't want the vaccine, that we might not actually reach "herd immunity" any time soon.
    Let them get it. Let them die. I'm ok with that.

Have I mentioned how tired I am of this covid thing lurking in the forefront of our lives?

Administrator
    The problem is is that, like masks, it's not a decision that only affects them. I have a friend who is in an at risk category (cancer survivor amongst other things) who is very allergic to ingredients in all three vaccines, so she's been told she can't get it. She's counting on herd immunity. Also, the longer it spreads among the unvaccinated, the greater the chance of a mutation that vaccines are ineffective against.

Herd immunity will be reached eventually I hope... either thru vaccines or naturally? If you don't develop anti-bodies naturally after infection... then I guess you'll die off? Of course there's always the risk of asymptomatic people...

So for those who are allergic or just can't get vaccinated, they'll just have to rely on stay in a bubble or behind a mask in public...

This is most likely going to end up like the common flu, just deadlier.

Hopefully treatments against Covid will also improve in the future?

Anyway, this pandemic will likely still going to be around for a while..., we all need to be a bit more patient with masks and distancing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The problem is is that, like masks, it's not a decision that only affects them. I have a friend who is in an at risk category (cancer survivor amongst other things) who is very allergic to ingredients in all three vaccines, so she's been told she can't get it. She's counting on herd immunity. Also, the longer it spreads among the unvaccinated, the greater the chance of a mutation that vaccines are ineffective against.
    Let's be clear that people who cannot take the vaccine are not who I direct my ire at. It's people who can, but will not.

Administrator
    Oh, I didn't think that you did. It's just that as much as I would also like to say "good, let 'em not take the vaccine, get sick, and die", that's unfortunately not how it ends up working. A fair percentage of these holdouts *need* to be converted if we ever want to get back to normal.

In some interviews I've seen, people say that it's that they're emergency-use authorized and haven't been fully approved by the FDA, and that once they are, then they'll take them. I've also seen reports that the percentage of people holding out is dropping reasonably quickly, presumably as people see others they know getting it and being fine (I'm pretty sure a friend of mine falls under that category - he insists he's not against it but also was doing nothing to try to get it. Now that he's seen that my wife and I are fine, he's finally scheduled to get it tomorrow).

The most concerning thing, to my mind, is the number of these people who are willing to get fake vaccination cards. I think that there will have to be some way to actually verify that people have been vaccinated soonish. I know the state has a record of whether or not you're vaccinated (because you can get a replacement vaccination card if you lose yours or it gets destroyed), I'm assuming something will end up having to be made that interfaces with that.

Brian nailed it.

Administrator
    Well, I hit the two weeks since my J&J shot. No blood clots and I am now as vaccinated as I'm gonna be. Going to the grocery store is significantly less nerve-wracking.

Please don't stop with the precautions!

Yep, additional layer of protection is nice, but nothing is 100% sure thing.

I’m scheduled for my 2nd Pfizer next Thursday. However, even after I’m fully vaccinated, I’m still going to be somewhat scared for my 8yr old daughter...

So our lifestyle probably won’t change much until kids can be vaccinated and until we hear better news from around the world....