Page 271 of 433 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272273281321371 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 4324

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Administrator
    I'm still mostly not stopping. All businesses around here still require masks, I don't have any intentions of trying to challenge that or anything. From what I've read, outside transmission was very rare and is incredibly unlikely even if you're not vaccinated, so for instance if I'm out for a ride, whether I pull my neck gaiter up is almost entirely based on how I'm gauging how other people feel, otherwise I just try to keep distance if I pass someone and keep distance if there's more than one of us stopped at a light or something.

We're lucky enough that we've also got really low rates of transmission at this point, so the gist I'm getting is we're pretty safe out here in LA right now. In a couple of days we'll be at 3 weeks since we opened up more and everything is still trending the right way. An article I read in the Times recently said if you're vaccinated that you can start to let your guard down some, just don't go to like a rave or something.

I'd say my covid-related behavior has changed very little other than I have way less anxiety. Still doing the things you're supposed to do, just less worried about it. Michele got the Moderna one, so she's not due for her second shot until a couple of weeks from now, and then she'll need two more weeks to hit her full effectiveness. Once that happens, I do think I'm going to try going into the office for a couple of hours.

In the meantime, my folks are going to stay with us for a day or two once Michele's cleared her two week after shot #2 mark. First time I'll have seen them in 14 months. I'm excited, but also weirdly anxious.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 24th, 2021 at 09:46 PM.

Junior Potato
    It will feel weird taking less precautions anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm still mostly not stopping. All businesses around here still require masks, I don't have any intentions of trying to challenge that or anything. From what I've read, outside transmission was very rare and is incredibly unlikely even if you're not vaccinated, so for instance if I'm out for a ride, whether I pull my neck gaiter up is almost entirely based on how I'm gauging how other people feel, otherwise I just try to keep distance if I pass someone and keep distance if there's more than one of us stopped at a light or something.

We're lucky enough that we've also got really low rates of transmission at this point, so the gist I'm getting is we're pretty safe out here in LA right now. In a couple of days we'll be at 3 weeks since we opened up more and everything is still trending the right way. An article I read in the Times recently said if you're vaccinated that you can start to let your guard down some, just don't go to like a rave or something.

I'd say my covid-related behavior has changed very little other than I have way less anxiety. Still doing the things you're supposed to do, just less worried about it. Michele got the Moderna one, so she's not due for her second shot until a couple of weeks from now, and then she'll need two more weeks to hit her full effectiveness. Once that happens, I do think I'm going to try going into the office for a couple of hours.

In the meantime, my folks are going to stay with us for a day or two once Michele's cleared her two week after shot #2 mark. First time I'll have seen them in 14 months. I'm excited, but also weirdly anxious.
    They've been jabbed too, so you should be ok.

I'm wearing a mask everywhere. Of course, i'm stuck at home right now because foot surgery. But, when I do venture out, mask on. If i'm going to a place where there happens to be a lot of unmasked people, two masks on.
    The gas station that I use to fill my car (requires diesel) is a giant gas station, Buc-cees if you know it, with super clean bathrooms and, honestly, great food. Diesel, if it sits around can develop algea, so i try to fillup where I know there's a lot of throughput. Lots of people not wearing masks there though.
    I don't bother wiping down the handle. I just use the wipe on my hands afterwards (the container sits in my backseat) then go inside and wash my hands. And get myself a nice brisket sandwich. Or sausage, fish, tacos, etc. Double mask for Buc-cees.

Yeah, driving through Texas and Oklahoma last summer I recorded a total of exactly 2 gas station employees wearing masks over the course of about 12 stops. The ratio was even worse for other customers.
    Things were much better before I left/once I got back to KS, but then the Kansas portion of the drive was N/S through the eastern portion of the state on a major highway - If had been western or central KS I'm guessing the story would be different.
    -Formerly Stabulator

People letting their guard down (or never having their guard up) is why the virus is still... going viral. Don't let your guard down until it is no longer a thing.

Vacc rates here pretty low despite there being a choice of BioNTech or Sinovac shots for free with tons of availability. The low uptake is largely due to low infection rates (despite our dense population), lazy sensationalist reporting, and distrust resulting from Bill's buddies' actions and statements from 2019 onward.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; April 25th, 2021 at 07:56 AM.

That’s interesting. There are lots of MAGA folks in HK who refuse vaccines?

India is really screwed at the moment...

I didn't even realize US has an embargo preventing India getting raw materials to make their own vaccines...

US big pharma is also unwilling to get onboard with IP waiver... US vaccine makers have already made shit load of money thanks to US government and they are still greedy for more... and risking further variants popping up around the world...

Do the right thing USA, so that we can make this world great again...

BTW, India was doing pretty well before this tsunami wave hit..., even closing their temp clinics and stuff... maybe their false sense of security let their guard down? Hopefully we won't end up making the same mistake. Yes we have vaccines, but not everyone has been vaccinated yet...

It does seem that complacency hit India. Then come down hard on it early, then it flattened. But it can grow quickly and once that starts its hard to stop.

But the US is not doing that well. Certainly better than before, but thats coming from one of the countries with the worst record. There are still many hundreds of people dying each day in the USA. Thats down a long way from the peak, but is still pretty high.
    Go a day, then a week without a single covid death and then you can start to say its under control.

Oh com’on, 0 Covid death is probably way too high of a bar, considering even regular flu could still kill...

Under ‘control’ would IMHO be patients not straining our healthcare system and dead bodies not overwhelming our morgues.

Had we been doing proper contact tracing and quarantine and having cooperative citizens, then maybe 0 deaths would be achievable? But at this stage, I think we will be lucky if we can keep thing’s ‘controllable’ by my definition... and gradually approach 0 as our goal of course.