Page 5 of 433 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Wow, that article sure sounds very factual. 10,000 times faster? I thought it’s more like 10 million times faster? Not to mention professional too. How many swear words can a news article have?

Is this all you guys have to fight against morons?

Greta whine about carbon... oh she’s a hero. If she whines about a virus, she’d be a fucking moron? Fuck off you guys.

Problem with this isn’t just fake news, but the lack of real news. China’s claiming transparency but they won’t let you talk to Chinese citizens. I guess thats because they wish to lockdown all the morons to stop the spread of fake news... maybe you guys are right. Good job China for combating fake news. The rest of the world need to learn from you!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2020 at 06:47 AM.

Okay, let's talk some data...

I believe if you insert common flu virus into a healthy person's nose... there's a less than 50% chance of that person end up getting sick... and there's only a 0.1% mortality rate with common flu. SARS had 10% and MERS had 30% chance of dying. So far, this new virus has only a mortality rate of about 2%, but that's data from CCP and the outbreak is still ongoing... so we won't have definitive data until end of outbreak. All we know now is that confirmed cases in China thus far has exceeded confirmed SARS cases in China... and last time there were no lock downs.

With that said, let's look at mortality rates of Boeing 737Max planes. 300+ dead over gazillions the passengers safely reaching their destinations. Even without Boeing modifying any part of the plane, it is an incredibly safe airplane! If there were adequate maintenance along with more experienced pilots, mortality rate could've been 0% without Boeing making any changes to the plane.

Now, there are folks scared to fly in that plane and angry at Boeing although none of their family or friends died on that plane. Are those people morons? Why couldn't we just let Boeing off the hook when it's clearly those cheaper low fare airlines cutting corners?

Boeing 737Max planes crashed twice.

China gave us these viruses twice.

I think I'm entitled to be outraged and be scared even if I live in Los Angeles. People are also rightly justified to be angry and scared of flying the Max planes.

I understand risk is low for me to die, but your cavalier attitudes will likely help it spread further and allow China to eventually come up with another version of this virus.

More international pressure is needed in order to push for some sort of reform in China. Otherwise, soon enough, you'll start seeing facebook posts or graffitis that say 'free china'!

You know, one thing I do like about Trump is that he's not afraid to push back against President Xi... but of course he doesn't do that all the time. He was tweeting his praise on how China is doing a great job controlling the outbreak...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2020 at 12:14 PM.

Junior Potato
    I’m sure Greta would have a very level-headed take on coronavirus, if it was a subject that she was interested in talking about.

I was going to respond, but it isn't worth the effort.

Wash your damned hands and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I’m sure Greta would have a very level-headed take on coronavirus, if it was a subject that she was interested in talking about.
    Climate research has been going on for a long time. We have plenty of data.

Novel corona virus OTOH... for now we'll just have to rely on the data from the chinese communist party.

You do realize it's difficult to have a level headed discussion that's fact/data based?

Calling the people freaking out morons and "I have no time for you" is certainly adding more levels to this discussion?

Am I advocating an anti-handwashing campaign? Are GTXFers really all freaking out because of my posts as if I'm yelling fire in a crowded theater?

Anyway, I just thought that was totally uncalled for from YW. However it's apparent YW and I are in opposing political spectrums in regard to chinese politics. Nerves are raw. Pro-Beijing folks have suffered several setbacks lately from HK to Taiwan and now the latest viruses... so I guess I can understand he was upset by my posts.

If I'm misreading you YW or spreading misinformation, feel free to correct me. It's not like I'm incapable of correcting myself if I'm really wrong. If you still have no time for me, please don't read my posts and call me a moron. Don't be like a neanderthal. Be a man you mutherfoquer!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 29th, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

I read that the beginning can be september/october and nothing to do with the market.

Shut up mk, don't be a moron.

Do you have facts? What kind of crap are you reading? Prove it! Are you even in China? If not, shut up!

Junior Potato
    There's a lot to unpack here, so I'll provide my response in a numbered list.

1. Don't worry about the Chinese government. The appropriate body is looking after this, the World Health Organisation. All YOU need to do is listen to their advice.

2. You can easily have a level-headed discussion. Have you paid attention to any experts on the matter? Hyperbolic news reports don't count.

3. "Am I advocating an anti-handwashing campaign?" Nope.

4. "Are GTXFers really all freaking out because of my posts as if I'm yelling fire in a crowded theater?" Yep.

Bonus point:

5. Just chill the heck out and smoke a big fat scoob, please, for your own sake. It's legal in Cali, take advantage!

1) Like I've said, my family was from China and I still have distant relatives there. Xi also won't answer to WHO. Churches in China need to place Xi above Jesus, otherwise they'll shut you down. Easier said than done to not worry about the CCP.

2) I've looked at pretty much everything. I'm not ignoring expert opinions.

4) who here is freaking out because of my posts?

5) I was pretty chilled and even accepted the fate of possibly eventually becoming infected with it since I live in community with lots of Chinese folks... until YW calling me a moron.

Junior Potato
    If you accept the normal definition of 'freaking out', then nobody is.

But if you go off the Billi definition of 'freaking out', we are all rolling our eyes.

So what happened last time there was an infection scare? Did you catch bird flu? Did you get SARS? MERS? AIDS?

Did all of your family die or go missing? Tell us! We need to know if there is a precedent here!