Page 89 of 433 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Thread (CoronaVirus etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Saw somewhere that our mayor now says that anybody with symptoms can now get tested, which is significantly better than before. Previous requirements were that you either had symptoms and were either 65+ or in at at-risk category, or you had contact with a person confirmed positive and were already being quarantined with more than 7 days left in your quarantine period.

So, I'd expect our number of cases to go up significantly but ideally that's just better visibility, not increased spread.
    A lot depends on what kits are used. The amount of desperate spooging by politicians seeking a silver bullet in the form of “game changer” rapid test kits and/or “miracle treatments” is both hilarious and sad.

A Colmar Brunton online poll of 601 New Zealanders completed over the weekend showed a whopping 88 per cent of people trusted the Government to make the right decisions on Covid-19, while a slightly smaller majority of 83 per cent trusted the Government to "deal successfully with national problems".
    Slight contrast here I think.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    A lot depends on what kits are used. The amount of desperate spooging by politicians seeking a silver bullet in the form of “game changer” rapid test kits and/or “miracle treatments” is both hilarious and sad.
    True. I normally am not a huge fan of our mayor but he's been pretty good about not sugar-coating things during this.

Junior Potato
    I'm doing more stat-watching. It's probably useless (and what part of this particular thread isn't?) but I do feel it helps put things into perspective.

Especially for Americans, and very especially for the Trump voters in the audience.

The USA currently has almost one third of the worldwide score for total cases at 400,000. It achieved this goal today after having reached its 100th case on March 2nd.

China, a country of 1.3 billion people, in a similar land size but arguably much poorer health standards, achieved its first hundred cases somewhere back in December, some 2.5 or 3 months earlier. It has topped out at just over 80,000 at the same time as the USA reached 100.

The USA is not slowing down either. It's not exponential any more, but the new cases per day has stayed above 20,000 for the last 10 days. The total could top 1 million in two weeks if it keeps up, but that is unlikely. It might take a few months for this to happen, while a lot of those people will be recovering.

By the time I wake up tomorrow, New York by itself will be the single region on earth that accounts for the largest total, pushing 150,000 cases, and the sixth highest in terms of deaths from COVID-19.

The USA is still looking at a 50/50 death to recovery rate. I can only go off confirmed cases here (there may be a vast number of cases, recoveries, and deaths going unreported so the figures may be much higher and the true ratio quite different), but looking at the world-wide perspective of confirmed cases there is still a 1-in-4 chance that the outcome will be a fatality. Some countries like Australia are showing a 1-in-50 chance of dying, so it is countries like the USA, Spain, France, the UK, and Italy that are doing the heavy lifting.

And finally:
    STAY HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I'm doing more stat-watching. It's probably useless (and what part of this particular thread isn't?) but I do feel it helps put things into perspective.

Especially for Americans, and very especially for the Trump voters in the audience.
    Mate, I'm pretty certain there are no potential Trump-voters (for 2020 anyway) left on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    And finally:
    STAY HOME
    Yeah, I think you are preaching to the choir dude!

Who here still think this is all a hoax? Or downplaying this as another flu?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 8th, 2020 at 08:03 AM.

Here’s an interesting documentary keeping the lab released conspiracy alive...

No solid evidences of course, also epoch times is founded by a crazy religious group heavily persecuted by the CCP so naturally they have to portray the CCP as satan... but a lot of interesting info nonetheless.

Administrator
    No solid evidence documentary by a "news source" run by a religious cult who devote a significant amount of time to anti-CCP propaganda? I'll pass.

There are evidences of course, I just don't think it's enough to actually 'impeach' the CCP. Only if we could overthrown the CCP... then perhaps we could get to the bottom of the real truth. But even so, they may have destroyed all the evidences already.

Also, I'm not a fan of any religious cult except for my own cult. However, if CCP has a consistent record of severely persecuting various 'cults', you don't think you should be careful of such a government? They are not a theocracy in a way that they think their God is the greatest. They believe they are God! Churches are allowed to exist in China, but only if you allow your Jesus to submit to the CCP. If not, then sorry, you can't exist.

Should we really just ignore the concentration camps, the exiled cult leaders and continue to do business with them because of money? Continued to rely on them to make our t-shirts, our iphones, our masks or other medical PPE, our anibiotics, our 5G network?

Hopefully things will change after this fiasco... whether if the virus is lab released or not.

As we rely more and more on such an authoritarian regime, we do so at our own peril.

Anyway, what I found most disturbing from this documentary was that this new virus has some HIV component in it... which will mess up our immune system... I do hope that's not true. I'll wait and see what the scientific community has to say about that.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 8th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.

Administrator
    The fun part is it's not a zero-sum game. I can both not trust the CCP and not trust a religious cult even when they don't like each other. The enemy of my enemy does not actually have to be my friend.

Falun Gong are not known for their journalistic excellence or their commitment to fair reporting.