Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Cam & Lori's Motorbikes

I just ordered a GPS unit.

Better than wrecking phone cameras with motorcycle engine vibrations.

Iím going to jump on the bike and get lost for a couple of weeks.

Junior Potato
    Hell yeah Cam, enjoy it mate

Update from the road.

I spent a couple of days tooling around near Great Smokey Mountains NP, then turned west. I basically went to Nashville, then started on the Natchez Trace Parkway. I found it nice, but uninteresting, so I left it. Tonight, I am staying with friends in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Tomorrow, Iím headed into the Ozarks.

Sounds like fun.

I am safely back home after almost 3400 miles. I'm a little saddle sore. It was a pretty cool trip. I'll write more later.

Not everyone here is on Facebook, so I will post this recap here too.

I packed the motorbike on Sunday, May 8, with the intent on leaving Monday morning. The next day came around and I felt really lousy. I have recurrent pericarditis, which flares up every 6-12 months. It can feel like a heart attack. Instead of jumping on the bike and going to the mountains, I jumped in the car and drove myself to the hospital. I spent overnight there and had a barrage of needles and tests confirming what I already suspected. I don't have heart disease. Take five pills a day for the next week or two. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

Wednesday morning, I jumped on the bike and headed for the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. Now that is some medicine to make me feel better! I rode around there for a few days, passing through Great Smoky Mountains National Park, US 129 "Tail of the Dragon," and Cherohala Skyway. I was camping along the way. Some campsites required riding down several miles down dirt roads to find.

When I was passing through the National Park, I aimed for a little-used dirt road that is one-way out of the park. I knew it was there from a previous car-camping trip a few weeks before. The paved roads inside the park are bumper-to-bumper in some places, especially when there is wildlife within sight of the road. On this occasion, there was a bear maybe 100 metres away from the road. All the tourists were stopping trying to get a photo of this bear that was off in the bushes, quite a way from the road. I just wanted to get away from the gawkers and turned up the gravel, one-way Rich Mountain Road.

Less than five minutes up Rich Mountain, I rode up on a momma bear and her cub right in the road! I smirked, thinking of the tourists that were clamoring to get a photo of one bear that was far off the road. I did not want to bother this family, so I just kept moving, slowly passing the bears as they watched me ride by. I kind of wish I had taken a photo, but it is a hassle to bring out my phone or camera while riding and I am supposed to not bother wildlife in the National Parks. Less than five minutes later, I rode up on another family of bears, a momma and two cubs! I laughed aloud this time. They seemed indifferent that I slowly passed by and just went about their beary business.

I turned west, headed for Nashville and the northern end of the Natchez Trace Parkway. I stopped at a local hot-spot, the Loveless Cafť, for a hearty meal before getting on the Trace. The Trace is a really nice road, slowly meandering through the lowlands as it gets closer to the Mississippi River. It is a very pleasant drive, but I found it kind of boring. There was not really any scenery, as the road is lined with trees for the most part. There are many Civil War era historic sites along the way, but I am not really interested in that kind of stuff. The one night I camped along the Trace, I chatted with a couple of fellow motorcyclists from Louisiana. When they heard I was from Nova Scotia, one of them mentioned that his French ancestors were deported from Nova Scotia during the Great Expulsion of the Acadians.

I went as far as Tupelo, MS, before heading west again, toward Hot Springs, AR. I arranged to meet up with friends there and they generously offered me their guest bedroom. The plains on either side of the Mississippi are very flat, with not much more than farmland as far as the eye can see. I was incredibly bored during this section of the ride as it was several hundred miles of flat, straight roads. Also, it was hot, really hot. At one point my bike's thermometer read as high as 98F (38C.) I had a very warm welcome from my friends in Hot Springs, as well as good food and conversation. It was also very nice to have a shower and do some laundry.

Hot Springs National Park is not quite what I expect when I think about the parks. It basically preserves the cultural significance of the town and bath houses. I am accustomed to the parks preserving outstanding natural beauty. Needless to say, I did not have much interest in that kind of stuff. I set off again in pursuit of the twists and turns of some mountain roads in the Ozarks. I basically did a big loop north, then back to Hot Springs for another night at my friend's house. I am very grateful to them and their hospitality.

I went north through the Ozarks again, then turned east across the corner of Missouri; flat, straight, hot Missouri. I ended up in Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. I stayed there two nights. The first night, I camped, then the second night I rented a cabin, because there were thunderstorms forecast overnight. They never came. I hit the road toward Mammoth Cave and arrived on Thursday afternoon.

I wanted to take full advantage of the park and got there just in time to book an evening two-hour, lamp-lit tour. That was pretty cool to experience how the cave would have been explored back in the day, using only oil lamps. The next day, Friday, I did a different two-hour tour, covering a different section of cave, dimly lit by electric lights. Saturday, I did the longest tour, a four mile, four hour walk through what they call Grand Avenue. You just can't comprehend the scope of things like this by looking at photos. It really was an incredible and unique experience. I highly recommend checking it out if you are ever in the area. Booking a tour is a necessity, as they don't let people randomly walk through the caves.

I met up with my brother at a hotel in Louisville. We went out for a great meal at a local establishment, then turned in early, as we were both tired from the day's travel. After breakfast at a different establishment, I jumped back on the bike and headed for home. Rain and thunderstorms were in the forecast for the day. I passed through the Tail of the Dragon again and found a motel room to take shelter from the thunderstorms. Luckily, the storms held off for the most part that day and I did not get too wet.

The next day, however, I got rained on all morning as I made the last push for home. When I finally rolled into the driveway, it was a relief. My new "waterproof" jacket leaked through on the front. As my brother said, no riding gear is truly waterproof. It was a pretty cool trip, but it is nice to be home. The bike's trip odometer read 3370 miles (5423 km.) Now the bike deserves some preening and maintenance. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I look forward to the next adventure!
    Last edited by Cam; May 24th, 2022 at 07:14 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Excellent story. Thanks for sharing it.

Travel is the best.