Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden is dead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Holden is dead

GM made the decision to end the Holden brand by the end of the year.

Sounds like they will move sales to the GM name.
    But it also means about 600 jobs will go - they were still doing design work in Melbourne.

A bit of a surprise but probably a good move in the longer term - why have a brand when there are no actual cars made by that brand anymore.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...ralia/11972092

I thought you meant Holden the forum member and felt really bad before I clicked.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I thought you meant Holden the forum member and felt really bad before I clicked.
    Fuck that noise. My heart skipped a beat.
    acket.

You also wouldn't believe how many driving their Daewoo/Opel/Vauxhall rebadged Holden, have no idea they're driving an import either.
    One older lady once, when I had to fix something on her Astra, made a comment about seeing so many of them in Europe badged as an Opel....
    I wanted to slap her.
    Even the apprentice at work didn't believe me the Holden Captiva he was working on was actually a Daewoo.
    Shows how strong the brand name is here, but how blind the average consumer was to the product they were selling.

Yet here the number of Chev badged Holdens!!

Ok so some more news is out - seems GM is planning on getting out of all RHD markets. Article says that is Aus, NZ and Thailand.
    So I was thinking - what about the UK and Opel?
    Quick google and found out that Opel isnt under GM, they were sold to PSA (peugeot, citroen) in 2017. Wow that somehow skipped my awareness.

They might still bring in some specialty cars - Camaro and Corvette. Guessing these will be sold at HSV dealers (if they can survive just with these - most are Holden dealers with a section for HSV)

Wow, I missed the Opel news as well.
    -Formerly Stabulator

VX220 for life!!!

Junior Potato
    Yep so HSV is being renamed to GMSV, and they’ll continue to do RHD conversions for Camaros being sold here, plus they’ll likely look after the import and sale of C8 Corvettes, which were engineered to be built in RHD at the factory in America. Still no word on where and how they’ll be sold, but I suspect certain car dealerships will sell Camaros and Vettes alongside other brands.

We are one of the last RHD markets for GM; they’ve already pulled out of almost all of the other regions, killing Vauxhall along the way.

I wonder what is causing GM to do this. Is it because they’ve been haemorrhaging money for the last 10 years? A poor lineup of shit cars that fail to grab people’s attention? Bad management decisions? Too much on their plate and need to consolidate? The Bob Lutz era was great until they chose to suck the excitement out of their range.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Interestingly, Opel/Vauxhall being sold to PSA, and PSA now merging with FIAT, means that Chrysler is together with Opel.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Junior Potato
    What a wicked web of deceit they weave!