Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Richness?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Super is compulsory here, your employer plays in, but you can add extra. I have a decent one (but not 2M!)
    My Porsche is holding value - maybe even better than the GT4. But Im using it and adding miles - probably more so than any other Spyder in the country and Id guess a lot more than IMOAs GT4 (he who is never in the country!)

I live cheaply (tyres and brake pads aside) - and have a small part time job to help my retirement, although its mostly about getting me out of the house.

In the end - its nice to have "comfortable" amount of money, but dont sacrifice too much of the "here and now" just to have a few extra dollars later. You might not last that long or might not be able to enjoy it how you wont.
    Conversely - dont spend it all now and go "Ill worry about that later" - you dont want to be forced to work into your 60s just to stay alive.

Enjoy today, but make sure you can also enjoy tomorrow.
    That last line!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Really, we need more threads in your honour.
    That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Enjoy today, but make sure you can also enjoy tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    That last line!!!!!
    It’s admittedly hard to balance that. Or at least I struggle with it. Currently I have a decent bit of cash (for me), and man do I want to use it on a toy, or a trip... but the back of my head is like “BE RESPONSIBLE”

I might add a couple of things

As most I think know my daughter passed away 6 years ago. What less people know is about 2 weeks after that one of my best friends passed away (cancer) and about 18 months ago another of my closest friends was hit by a car and never retained conciousness (for DN and Random that was chris, I think both of you met him). What I have learnt is that for all the planning we can do neanderthal's brother is right, it can all be over in an instant so while you certainly need to plan for the future you also must live in the present and live life to the fullest. I'm a very big believer in the value of experiences so now my focus is on collecting as many great memories as possible, they are so much more important and bring so much more joy than mere possessions.

Completely outside this thread those experiences have also taught me to not hold grudges against anyone and not get wound up/annoyed about stuff. Life is way to short and far too precious to be not talking to someone or wasting time being annoyed. Sometimes things go wrong, be the guy that reaches out to mend bridges and shrugs off insults/annoyances etc rather than letting them dominate you.

As for the retirement bit, I will certainly be working in my 60's, I do enjoy my job and have the good fortune to have worked myself into a position where I can shape what my job is rather than having it shaped for me. I am expecting to wind down as I get to my late 60's and will transition into part time/only gets out of bed if its really lucrative kind of thing. i will completely retire though, no problem filling my days with travel.

Oh, and lift weights. My knees (and everything really) are so much better these days because I'm exercising a lot more and including strength work in that. Being a hell of a lot less fat didn't hurt that either. 50 is the new 20

Similarly, we have started trading in possessions for experiences the last few years. Ash's cancer(s) have brought us to some life lessons that are probaly 15-20 years ahead of our peers. That doesn't make us better/worse, just explains how we don't need a big house or a current model year car if it means we can travel more or pursue hobbies at a high level. I like this way more anyway.

Wow! IMOA, I guess I haven’t been paying attention, had no idea of all that you’ve been thru...

I guess that explains why I thought you’re one of the wisest in this forum... you’ve been thru quite a LOT!

Anyway, yes, in couple of years, I won’t be a new teenager anymore and will hit the new 20! Hope I’ll be able to live my life as full as you. Yeah, money’s nice, planning is good, but nothing beats living a full life NOW! Also need to try to stay healthy, can’t pretend to be 20 if you don’t have good health!

In the meantime, who is diving into what shares, and on what line of reasoning?

I don't buy individual shares because of the volatility. And the time it takes to do the research, and the commissions. All together the juice is not worth the squeeze, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Similarly, we have started trading in possessions for experiences the last few years. Ash's cancer(s) have brought us to some life lessons that are probaly 15-20 years ahead of our peers. That doesn't make us better/worse, just explains how we don't need a big house or a current model year car if it means we can travel more or pursue hobbies at a high level. I like this way more anyway.
    Same experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Similarly, we have started trading in possessions for experiences the last few years.
    I think this should be people's default mode. Lori and I have just always done this. This was kind of my point earlier. People are so busy trying to get stuff that they are not enjoying life.