Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Richness?

This keep going down a tangent and I apologize for that; but I just want to say that it's not quantifiable how overjoyed I am to be taking the bar exam tomorrow and being done with school forever. I have an endless stream of projects that I want to do for ME lined up and it is going to be rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    In the meantime, who is diving into what shares, and on what line of reasoning?
    You need to get a personal financial advisor, preferably not one who is employed by any particular bank or other financial institution. That is, one who does not have a conflict of interest between your interests and commissions they stand to make.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    You need to get a personal financial advisor, preferably not one who is employed by any particular bank or other financial institution. That is, one who does not have a conflict of interest between your interests and commissions they stand to make.
    In other words, the lot of us here!

We had an unprecedented economic expansion for a long long time... another market correction is overdue. With the help of corona virus, pretty sure markets will take a dive in the near term. That'd be the perfect time for you to dive into the market! Just buy stocks in companies that you believe in making products you actually want to buy... and hopefully also regularly pay dividends. I think those should be reasons enough.

Unfortunately I have no money to buy nothing! So at most I'll just be re-balancing my 401k funds. When market tanks, I move more money to the market index funds... and if market rises, I sell and move the money to a stable value fund.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 24th, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    In the meantime, who is diving into what shares, and on what line of reasoning?
    Unless there's some specific knowledge I have I don't. Like I said, pick the tax effective vehicle, put that into a balanced growth fund and pump money into it early an often. Monitor it's performance, compare to market and move as needed. If you're trying to pick shares and asset class mixes you'll more than likely cock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    We had an unprecedented economic expansion for a long long time... another market correction is overdue.
    <snip>
    When market tanks, I move more money to the market index funds... and if market rises, I sell and move the money to a stable value fund.
    Just talking to a coworker about this tonight after work. She is one of those "I don't know anything about this" type of people. Today was a major slide for a lot of the market. If the trend continues over the next few days it might be time to divest of all the stocks and funds I have and get into a stable value fund. (I'm 99% in stocks in my 401K, +90% in company stock.)

I left everything in situ last time around, as I trusted President Obama would take measures to fix the economy. And he did. And I made like a bandit when the stock market came back and corrected itself.

I don't trust Trump to do anything to fix the economy should it take a tumble. He and his rich friends would use that as an opportunity to further enrich themselves at the expense of the poor and middle class. Some of which we saw in the last recession. I don't trust Bernie either.

Compounding that, the company made a change to how we allocate our investments in our 401K. Whereas before we were able to put 100% of our withholding in company stock, now we can only put a maximum 50% of our withholding in company stock. So if I sell my, say, ~$400000 of company stock, and once it bottoms i try to get back into the company stock, i'll only be able to buy $200000 worth, the rest will have to be allocated in other, not as well performing funds.

We are expanding into some markets that have been under served which is how I am now in Texas, and our tentative foray into China has been wildly successful. More openings there are coming as soon as we can get the land, logistics, permits, etc. That'll bring a sizable increase in our year over year numbers going forward. Which is always good for the stock price.
    Also it's been trading at record highs the last few weeks. A stock split would, maybe, be in the offing. That would be fantastic for me, but if I opt out of the stock in a recession i wouldn't be able to buy back in at the same percentage i'm in now, meaning i'd only get half as much of a potential stock split as i'd get if I just stayed "all in."

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by neanderthal; February 24th, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

Now is the time to buy more stocks, not to trigger another sell off!

Anyway, I would not recommend having too many stocks of your employer in your 401k, especially at 100%!

If your company’s stock is fast growing, that means high risk! Such stocks might be fun to play with in the short term, but 401k is meant for long term.

Think Enron. Lots of its employees couldn’t resist having more of their own company’s high flying stock! When the company collapsed, you not only lose your job, but you also zero out your 401k.

If you wish to gamble on those high performers, do it with extra cash you don’t mind losing, not with all of your retirement money. Don’t put everything in one basket dude!

Yeah, I've got a conservative retirement fund.

So for me, it's savings that I can afford to take some risk with, without meaning I have to retire into a rubbish bin.

I'm throwing a bit more in on some stuff like Coke, on the gamble that it's a dip, rather than a plummet.

If you are buying shares for dividends then changes in the price shouldnt be a big worry. Yes its good to buy at a lower price - but you should be more interested in the company profits and the dividends. Yes the price can reflect that, but often the price will change if there is a widespread change in the market. So everything is down - what do you care if you still get your cash twice a year.
    A bit different if the price is dropping because its expected the dividend will go down.

This stuff has never been interesting to me and I have a hard time wrapping my head around the complexities and making sense of it all.

In high school (late 90s) we were told that if we invested something small (I think it was $50 a month) starting at 20 years old we would all be millionaires by 35 due to the magic of compound interest. It all seemed cockamamie (sp) to me. What I think I understand now is that interest rates were very high at the time, not like now where loans can have very low interest if your credit is good.

I cashed out my meager 401k at 29 when I found myself laid off with no real skills. I had been working for a family owned company that didn't pay much but A) the benefits were excellent, and B) living was cheap back then, and C) I wasn't really thinking ahead toward building a massive retirement portfolio. Being self-employed for the past 9 years I pay a crapload percentage of my income towards social security which I may never see a benefit from, and of course I have no 401k matching to help. So now at 39 I'm feeling anxious about how to 'catch up' and build a bigger retirement fund (I have a little bit in some mutual funds). A recent thread on another forum was talking numbers about what you'd need to retire comfortably and people were throwing around things like $2M to $3M. That's a shitload of money and if that's what you really need I'm pretty screwed. I wish this had been explained to me earlier and I had found a higher paying job/career earlier in life. Or I wish I had put everything I could into Google many years ago, or Tesla, etc, but that hindsight stock market game is silly.

If I can work out a way to retire someday I'd love to travel a lot - heck I'd love to do more traveling now while I'm healthy. Experiences are totally more fun than things, although I would say some things are prerequisite for certain experiences - like a track-worthy car for driving on track.