Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wistful Thinking.

Junior Potato
    Hey! I like the photo. Couple of old school Gran Turismo fans.

If you want to make contact with specific people - just do it.
    Dont let time or old issues get in the way. You will probably find they feel the same.
    Most of us suffer from inertia on these sort of things, time gets away and then you feel its too late and it just goes in a big circle of regret and worry.

Its nice to see you post here. And do make the effort to reach out to the people you were thinking about...
    with that I think its time I hassle Trev!

Welcome back bud. Hope things are treating you well.

Administrator
    It's always a nice treat seeing you pop up here, welcome back!

What they said. Glad to have you back!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I'm a bit the same. Especially with former workmates. We get along great at work, then either they or i leave, but we keep up communication. But then weeks with no word either way go by, then months, then years with the odd run in inbetween - where it seems like nothing has changed and you still get along as well as you used to.

GTX and one NZ forum are the only forums i use/participate in now (compared to 20-30 back in the day, and i post here at GTX way more than the NZ forum) and i usually miss participating in some others, but a lot of places have died off now (including my own forums, and my car club forums).

I'm on Facebook under a fake name, and only have 28 friends (most of them family) and don't use any other social media website other than YouTube.

I usually spend most of my time with wifey these days, barely see or hang out with anyone else most of the year.

So despite missing so many people, it kinda seems like i'm not doing much to rectify that problem.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; March 14th, 2020 at 02:10 PM.

Junior Potato
    Eh. Do what you want. Be a hermit if it suits your style.

The list of forums I’ve joined and only posted in once or twice is as long as my arm. I could only dedicate attention to two or three at a time, with the various iterations of GTX being permanently one of those three forever and always.

Now I’m down to this one and Facebook and that’s about it.

I've missed seeing your opinions on life Alex, glad to see you here, and followed on the Insta

I think it's a couple of things that have been weighing on me lately - the passage of time, one, and the toll of having been a busy person for a long, long time. I basically have two full time jobs, and that's fun and fulfilling but it also means you are away from people most of the time.

It's also that in moving away from NYC in 2009, I basically put myself 3000 miles from my known world. I'm happy in Seattle and I love Seattle, but not for nothing a big chunk of my friends and family are still in NYC and it can be a little, well, isolating to be so far away from everyone. I did not appreciate that Seattle is only within driving distance of Vancouver and Portland. Anywhere else is a flight and often a long one. That's not the case with NYC.

I guess, amid all the bad news of the last few weeks, I was really feeling wistful for a time when I was more optimistic and I remember really having such a great time on that trip to London. Ordinarily, I think when people look back at the past with rose-tinted glasses, they're being unrealistic. But it's hard not to think 2000 was better than 2020.

Thanks for the compliments on the Insta - that feed is like a third job unto itself now!

Holy shit, you moved west 11 years ago? Christ time moves.

Makes me realize I moved to DC 18 years ago now. 😐

Definitely understand how isolating a big move can be, it's part of why I've been so hesitant to move somewhere that I'd prefer nature wise (Northwest or Colorado).