Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series X

Junior Potato

Xbox Series X

The full spec sheet for Xbox Series X was released earlier this week and I'm surprised there's no thread, so here's a post that is very similar to my PS5 specs post which I just posted in another post.

Screenshot yoinked from here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...s-x-full-specs

Big things to note:

CPU is AMD Zen 2, same as Playstation 5, but with slightly higher clock speed.

GPU is AMD RDNA 2 with far more compute units (CUs) than PS5 but much lower clock speed. Full ray tracing support. The GPU will also support variable rate shading, which prioritises graphical performance to different areas of the screen to boost framerate, and gives low priority to lower contrast areas (for example, a dark shadowy portion of an image can be given less resources because your eye is less able to notice details in dark areas).

RAM is up to 16GB but asymmetrical, to be used for different tasks. For example, system overhead and OS will run on lower-speed bandwidth, etc.

Storage is an internal 1TB NVMe SSD, with expandable storage with cute (but potent) little memory cards, also 1TB NVMe at first, with larger sizes coming down the track a bit later in the console cycle. They will be plug-and-play, so that you can take some of your game library to another Xbox and pick up where you left off.

Game resume will now be fully supported on Xbox, with the ability to save multiple states from RAM directly to SSD, and the ability to switch between instances of back-compat Xbox One titles in only 6 seconds - longer for Series X games. You can literally pause one game, and then load another game, and then go back to the first game exactly where it was paused.

The controller now features a share button similar to PS4, and inside there will be a new input lag reduction system to reduce, you know... input lag. This system will be backwards-compatible with existing Xbox One controllers via a firmware update, which can then be used on Series X systems and Windows 10 PCs. Handy, because Microsoft is going all-in with HDMI 2.1 120Hz support.

Backwards compatibility will typically be much more robust than the PS5 solution. Games from all previous Xbox generations will be supported from the get-go, and Xbox One games will be played with enhancements (such as 4K and high framerate) without any input needed from the developers. Although it is presumed that a developer can choose to add their own enhancements if they wish. It took only two weeks to get a demo for Gears 5 up and running, which right now uses settings equivalent to the highest settings on PC, and they plan to implement 120Hz support for multiplayer mode. Imagine Forza Horison 4 at 120fps in 4K on a console

As a non-X-box user the naming convention completely loses me.

"PlayStation 5" Oh, see, easy.

That was my first thought too.

Was/Is the One X vs One S vs One more like a PS4 Pro vs PS4 Slim vs PS4??

Seriously, what is so wrong with numbering things in order? Thank You, Sony.

PS4 = Xbox One
    PS4 Slim = Xbox One S
    PS4 Pro = Xbox One X

PS5 = Xbox Series X

Roughly speaking

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    As a non-X-box user the naming convention completely loses me.

"PlayStation 5" Oh, see, easy.
    I have an Xbox, and I don’t use it either

The “Series X” naming convention might start to make sense in coming years if the suspected strategy where they ditch discrete generations and all Xboxes play all Xbox games kinda like phones do comes into effect.

Or it could further confuse the tits off everyone.

Anyway - buy a PC?

Junior Potato
    Nonsense!

Apple all the way!

:anger:

Junior Potato
    Big trailer dump from Microsoft. There are a bunch more on the Xbox YT channel. Watch it all in 4K fullscreen if you have the capability.

At this stage they all look like games that are absolutely capable of being built for current gen, just without the increased visual fidelity and creature comforts like instant loading, etc, as-is typical of the first batches of games from any new console release. It will be some years before we really get to see the graphical capabilities of this and the PS5.

It's telling that most of them will be cross-gen, and Jason Ronald - head honcho of XBox hardware development (bald guy with epic beard) while being interviewed by Eurogamer was travelling dangerously close to "Knack needs PS4" territory. But those clean 4K visuals are drool-worthy.