Some semi-official details of the twins' successor have emerged:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...d-presentation
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/deta...ruiser-leaked/

July 2021 launch
    2.4L Subaru FA24 flat-four turbo, 252hp
    Toyota TNGA platform, FR layout
    Improved cabin materials
    Toyota version gets a new name to tie in with the range-wide "GR" branding

I'm really looking forward to this as long as they can keep the weight down. I wonder what gearbox(es) it'll have?

CVT

I am skeptical, but guyz please please please make the turbo power delivery not suck at either end of the RPM range! Once we heard about the 0.4L displacement bump a couple months ago I was hoping it would not be turbo and it would not gain weight. That would make an amazing car. My fear is the TNGA platform, even scaled for this car, may be heavier and thus the "need" for the turbo to make it faster than the existing car. I hope I'm wrong.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    With rumors of both NA and Turbo 2.4s, we will have to wait and see.

Is it just me or does 252hp seem low for both increased displacement and a turbo?
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Quote Originally Posted by The359 View Post
    Is it just me or does 252hp seem low for both increased displacement and a turbo?
    Unless it's a German style pessimistic rating, it's on the low end for a turbo engine of that size these days.

2013-2018 Focus ST 2.0: 252 hp
    2019+ Kia/Hyundai 2.5: 300 hp
    2019+ Subaru Ascent 2.4: 260 hp

Does seem low, which make me think small turbo meant for low end torque that wheezes out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Does seem low, which make me think small turbo meant for low end torque that wheezes out on top.
    If they do that it would be a mistake; a big lump of torque low down tends to exaggerate the transition from off-boost to on-boost, which destabilises a RWD car and exacerbates its inherent limited traction. I would hope that they would rather limit the boost pressure to keep more of an 'NA' character to the powerband, just driving like a bigger nat-asp engine.

I really question how this car will sit in the range together with the Supra 2.0 with 250hp. Hopefully lighter and cheaper is the answer I have a bit of an aversion to inline fours, but a flat four is attractive. I've also decided I prefer turbo to n/a power delivery, controversial I know but the 350Z isn't as exciting an engine as the FD, despite both making pretty much the same power.

The TGNA platform is used for the Yaris too, so hopefully it doesn't have to weigh a lot. This could be my ideal car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJKhMWRQTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK5A7kOg3m0

YAASSSS

Should I buy one so that I have a Mk1 and a Mk2? Or should I aim for an Elise instead? Hmmmm.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Large increase in torque, peak is now coming in at 3500rpms instead of 5500rpms on the older car. No more torque dip. Redline actually increases from 7400 to 7500, but peak horsepower is at 7000rpms, which I believe is slightly lower. So it's going to have a much more usable range at least. Rear track is wider, and the car now comes with Pilot 4S tires. Chassis has a lot of stiffening, lower center of gravity as well. No more sound tube that I can see. All digital dash, although the graphics are a bit plain.

The styling will take getting used to. I'm not fond of the rear end treatment, especially since it appears the trunk now sits higher meaning less rear window to see out of. Hooray, it has a duckbill, but at what cost. The Moustache has gone, but if you look at the front grill it's actually been hidden in there, half of that is blanked off with plastic. Overall the front seems longer and the rear seems shorter and it just makes the proportions seem off. I hate that they integrated a front license plate mount into the actual bodywork, that will stick out like a sore thumb.

Waiting to see what Toyota does with theirs, as the FR-S and 86 looked completely different, so there isn't much lineage for them to draw on here.
    Last edited by The359; November 18th, 2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Junior Potato
    Certainly looks better than the old in the styling department.

But should you get one of these

or

a

Lotus

Elise

?