Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (Coronavirus edition)

Junior Potato
    Blerps you could try both Outer Wilds and The Outer Worlds, two very confusingly named games from the middle of last year.

The former is a wonderful puzzle-adventure game set in a mini solar system, good for fans of crazy science fiction films of the early 20th century.

The latter is a spiritual successor of Fallout: New Vegas, from that developer. I’m not sure if you’re a fan of Fallout but judging by your love of The Witcher 3 it might be just the thing you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    aaaaaand having bought a new laptop for this game, instacrash won't even start.
    Thanks to google, and also the studio replying to a question on twitter, game is underway. I keep dying, but that's kind of my problem ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Blerps you could try both Outer Wilds and The Outer Worlds, two very confusingly named games from the middle of last year.

The former is a wonderful puzzle-adventure game set in a mini solar system, good for fans of crazy science fiction films of the early 20th century.

The latter is a spiritual successor of Fallout: New Vegas, from that developer. I’m not sure if you’re a fan of Fallout but judging by your love of The Witcher 3 it might be just the thing you need.
    Yeah, I tried the Outer Worlds, but it is not my cup of cake: as I said, too much menu in the guise of the Fallout franchise which eventually I grew bored with.
    And Fallout New Vegas is my least liked FO game: too much green and brown colour palette (game looks like ground and shit) and a plot made of blabbering endlessly with people. And diplomacy. Fuck diplomacy.
    Also not a fan of the visuals.
    I have heard about Outer Wilds... but a mate spoilered me the whole game and plot while we were doing a multi session in No Man's Sky. Ahem. Bah.

CoD MW Remastered was ok, tried yesterday before going to sleep, too bad you are always having your squad mates around.
    I'm more of an Halo/Destiny 2/Quake/Doom solitary run guy. Still, I'll keep looking into it.

XIII Remastered: I loved the original XIII game.
    This? It feels like someone took the original game, throw some half assed shaders and hi res textures (cartoony textures) on it and called it a day.
    Terrible.
    Also they offer no 21:9 aspect ratio format (In 2020? Lame) and the intro of the game is the actual character watching projected on a conference hall... the original game intro.
    I mean, how lazy can you be???

Shooting is fairly 2003 and audio is borked since the distances are totally wrong (you will hear closely enemies which are distant and viceversa).
    It was since the time of Duke Nukem Forever that I had not experienced such a badly made game (and I didn't try the allegedly abysmal Kingdom of Amalur remaster).
    As the good Cam says... Uninstalled!

Junior Potato
    Ha, that’s disappointing.

And people say Nintendo do lazy rereleases.

Junior Potato
    I’ve just started playing Half-Life: Alyx. It was on sale for half price while I was in hospital and I thought why not?

My contribution here is “What are you playing? (Injured leg edition)”

It took me half an hour to figure out how to play it in a seated position, but once I got going it’s ok to play. I had to manually map a crouch button and Steam VR’s button mapping screen is REALLY confusing. Luckily it connects with the Workshop and one of the most used custom made button layouts is the default layout with a crouch toggle added.

So I sit there on my couch, VR unit and controllers in-hand. I can’t look directly down, and I can’t peek around corners. Thankfully you can use smooth movement just like a standard FPS, and snap turning is set to 15 degrees so I’m managing ok to walk straight. If there’s an object on a table I can’t reach down to grab it, but I can crouch to reach up. I open every door this way.

Aside from my accessibility workarounds, you all know and love Half-Life. Now play it in VR. It’s so atmospheric. I walked through an underground train station near the start of my trip through City 17, and zombies with head crabs started groaning and walking towards me. Luckily they shamble slowly enough that I can pump a few rounds into them and reload my pistol (using gestures, which OWNS) without them reaching me. You can also sneak past them by crouching if they’re not paying attention and save your ammo.

Another cool feature is the gravity gloves you get almost straight away. If you see a clip of ammo on a shelf just point your hand towards it, do a flick of the wrist and it’ll fly at you, then just catch it out of the air. It’s a mechanic obviously created out of necessity of ease of use in VR but I imagine it’ll become more powerful later in the game.

So far after my three hours of muddling around I consider it a must play for owners of VR.

I was playing Avengers, but frankly the lack of content, bugs, and quality of life issues got to me, and it's collecting dust now. I've needed a light hearted exploration/rpg type game since "finishing" Breath of the Wild, and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2. Soooooo I gave Genshin Impact a try, and I've been surprisingly impressed. It's basically a combination of those two games, and it's free to play. It seems like all the content is free, but if you want the fanciest/strongest characters to min/max high end game stuff, you might have to invest. But, if like me, you care more exploration, and doing side missions, and stuff like that, you don't need to invest much, if anything. So far the map seems just a bit smaller than BotW, and I'm enjoying the battle system of swapping between characters to have various elemental combos. So yeah, I'll be playing this until I run out of content, and by then Fenyx Rising should be out, and hopefully that's a fun game too.

Junior Potato
    Are you interested in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity?

It’s out this Friday.

I’m interested in the story bits related to BotW, unsure about gameplay... I need to watch more footage of it or something

Junior Potato
    Ok. There’s a demo in case you weren’t aware.

It’s the same as previous Hyrule Warriors, as well as Fire Emblem Warriors, Dynasty Warriors etc. A ‘musou’ game where you hack and slash at hordes of enemies with your overpowered characters. It’s fun.

The challenge comes with the sheer number of enemies, bosses, objectives etc. Sometimes you’ll have to kill 300 enemies within 5 minutes, or go up against 5 mid-tier bosses (moblins). Plus you can customise the equipment your characters use; upgrading weapons, load outs, armour, etc.

The map is based heavily on the BotW map so feels familiar, but in its pre-calamity state where buildings aren’t ruined yet. For example, in the central Hyrule grasslands there are ruined buildings at Mabe Village and the ranch but in Age of Calamity its a full village that you defend in the opening level, starting at the Sacred Ground just south of the castle. However it’s not open world - each level is a discrete chunk of the map, and you use the overworld map in the Sheikah Slate as a hub to dictate where you go and unlock other bonuses.

If you haven’t played the demo I suggest you give it a whirl, and your progress will carry across to the full game.