Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtually real motorsport clips

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Virtually real motorsport clips

See what i did there?

So since this Covid-19 thing is a thing, a lot of different - big and small - motorsport series are taking to the sim racing games, usually iRacing it seems, in order to keep fans entertained (and presumably sponsors happy too) by putting some/most of their actual drivers behind the virtual wheel.

I don't know about you peeps, but i'm actually finding it quite entertaining, knowing that these people normally (in most cases) race the same cars around the same (in some/a lot of instances) tracks in real life - and here they are kicking arse in a simulator as well.

So i thought that since this is kinda unprecedented and that major sports broadcasters around the world are showing it, and producing it as they would for a real race, that this would be a good topic to place clips/full races from any real car series/competitions that have turned to the virtual world while everything is on lockdown. So technically it belongs here and not in the gaming forum.

Anywho, here's a couple (plus a NASCAR one in the NASCAR topic, which i found more interesting than actual NASCAR) that i've seen bits of lately.

INDYCARS at Barber Motorsports Park, Alabama

And in NZ there's a series where you can't spend more than $2,000NZD on a car to enter the competition (or something like that) called the 2KCup, and they had a race yesterday in iRacing too.

If you've got clips from another real but virtual motorsport competition, post em up.

EDIT: And Formula 1. Which seems to have less current drivers than most other series taking it online...
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; April 5th, 2020 at 06:39 PM.

Graphics really looks awesome nowadays, but I can't help but feeling something is still a bit off... I suspect it's people internet connections?

Some cars just looked very 'nervous'... or take Albon's crash into the wall in the beginning of the Aussie race for example..., you can also see a bunch of guys subsequently making the same exact mistakes. It just makes you wonder whether if these crashes were the result of human error or glitch in the game or internet connectivity...

But anyway, I'm glad our tech is now advanced enough to even make it possible. Just a few minor things to smooth out... we'll than be able to ban real racing soon!

The internet won't make players' cars handle any differently or glitch over curbs. What is different with the internet is on the broadcast the cars can appear to wander a bit, or in worse cases of lag, teleport to different places on track. The effect is more noticeable the faster/twitchier the car, because they can change direction/speed faster in a given period of time between two sets of packets being communicated between client and server. So F1 cars have a particular challenge here.

Motorsport esports has *exploded* in the past month. It's unreal. There are so many races and series' doing it now, it's hard to keep up. It's fascinating to see how it's developing. Some hardware (like wheels/pedals) is in short supply and/or higher priced. A real NASCAR driver lost his real sponsor after he rage-quit the iRacing race broadcast on FOX Sports yesterday.

What? That's unreal... to really lose a sponsorship? Wow!

Just found out that said nascar driver was Bubba Wallace. What a name! Just like you can tell certain names just sound very formula 1, like kimi, Mika, ayrton..., Bubba is perfect for NASCAR!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 6th, 2020 at 01:33 PM.

Junior Potato
    If anyone’s following it, the Aussie Supercars iRacing series starts it’s broadcast in three minutes.

You’ll be able to catch the show in the usual places if you miss the live stream.

It’s on Fox Sports here!

Thanks for the head up... unfortunately I woke up too late LOL
    Hopefully they will keep doing this once the pandemic will be eventually contained.

Junior Potato
    The Supercars Twitch channel has it archived, which should be watchable worldwide.

https://www.twitch.tv/supercarschampionship/videos

Otherwise, don't be surprised if it shows up on some TV broadcast somewhere near you.

Top-line drivers doing what they do best.

Except for Monza L1T1, which almost everybody fucks up at some point. You'll see.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Upcoming e-races.

Paging Blerpa.
    acket.

Man, you are a treasure, really!

Just wondering what is the price of admission or qualifications needed to join these eraces?

Is it possible for us to sponsor our very own Cuda to participate?