Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 eff yeah

I'm just going to drop in to say that more of the people I know, know of him than Jeopardy dude.

While we are at it, I dislike Thanksgiving even more than I dislike Christmas. I would definitely eat Roger the turkey though, because why not.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; November 26th, 2020 at 04:07 AM.

Administrator
    When'd you shift into just trolling mode, YW? Who hurt you?

Maybe he’s just getting bitter with age.

Frankly, I have always had difficulty seeing how people can celebrate Thanksgiving knowing that it marks the beginning of hundreds of years of genocide, slavery, and pillage.

I can understand the religious element behind Christmas and why Christians celebrate it. That's absolutely fine with me, as is some of the food, which is good (especially Christmas Pudding with brandy butter). What I am not fine with is that, and the non-religious associated rubbish, taking over the place and being shoved down my throat for 2 months, every fucking year, even in the tropics. There is no escape from fucking super-loud (and usually shitty) Christmas music and decorations. Also, maybe just be decent to people all year round instead rather than hiding behind pithy Hallmark rubbish such as "Season of Goodwill" and "It's Christmas".

That said, since I consider you guys to be my friends, if these holidays have meaning to you then I hope you had or have a good time during them.

I don't celebrate holidays anymore. I used to because my family did. You should not need a reason to be good to each other, do nice things for others and enjoy time with friends and family.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Thanksgiving is a really odd celebration among the rest of the end-of-the-year festivities in the world in that it mixes a little bit of religious zealot, a lot of foundational myth, some nationalism and it requires a kinship gathering. Kind of like Rosh Hashannah, Ramlila and Bastille Day mashup.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Frankly, I have always had difficulty seeing how people can celebrate Thanksgiving knowing that it marks the beginning of hundreds of years of genocide, slavery, and pillage.
    Here's the thing - they don't know that it marks the beginning of hundreds of years of genocide, slavery, and pillage. I mean, at this point most adults have been made aware of the facts, but those facts don't live in their heads like buckle hats and turkey's made in the outline of a child's hand. Plus, you should never underestimate the ability of the average person to be unconsciously racist by buying into ideas like "There really weren't that many indians anyway," and "Well, all the indians are gone now, so it's not my fault and my ancestors weren't even the ones who killed them."
    Also, "The First Thanksgiving" is one of those 'sticky' stories that children learn early because it has a 'good' message and nobody wants to be in the business of explaining genocide to first-graders. That kind of indoctrination lasts a long time and is difficult to shake unless you've got a real interest in getting rid of it.

I usually celebrate this weekend by getting together with a bunch of friends, eating, and cutting checks to indigenous-run charities, but then we're a bunch of anthropologists who do things like land acknowledgements when teaching.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Thanksgiving is a really odd celebration among the rest of the end-of-the-year festivities in the world in that it mixes a little bit of religious zealot, a lot of foundational myth, some nationalism and it requires a kinship gathering. Kind of like Rosh Hashannah, Ramlila and Bastille Day mashup.
    That's a really good way to put it - I'm stealing it.
    Though you did forget that it's like Easter as well, but instead of eggs we're hunting those black friday bargains!!!!!
    WOOOO! Punch an old lady for a cheap flatscreen!
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    That's a really good way to put it - I'm stealing it.
    Though you did forget that it's like Easter as well, but instead of eggs we're hunting those black friday bargains!!!!!
    WOOOO! Punch an old lady for a cheap flatscreen!
    Absolutely accurate.

I've celebrated it because I was born on it.

The food is amazing, so I've just associated it with my birthday.

Junior Potato
    Black Friday marks the start of the Christmas season in the world’s second biggest polluter, piggy-backing off… what is it? A kind of second national holiday after July 4th? With at least some of it connected with the genocide that YW mentioned.

Australians have almost no relation with thanksgiving, except for the growing influence of the Black Friday sales. If it wasn’t for that then we would have almost no awareness of it.

Our biggest shopping day of the year is Boxing Day, which I am sure that Americans have almost no awareness of. It’s the day after Christmas, and people have to make the difficult choice of either going out to try and grab a bargain (usually with no pre-planned idea of what they want to buy) or sitting in front of the TV and watching the cricket.

I have had to work most boxing days for the last decade. I guess I don’t have to do that this year