Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 eff yeah

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

2020 eff yeah

Neanderthal and Billi, please stay out (Unless you're drunk, high or recently climaxed).

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, Wa da foc is goin on?
    acket.

Who's got the remote? Can anybody push mute?

Or like

Menu?

Please?
    acket.

Administrator
    The last week has been the longest decade of my life.

Being in lockdown nearly a month now, shows me how much I miss the gym and my friends. There's a crossover between gym & friends, so it's a bit of a double whammy.

Definitely missing my face takeaway foods too.

Next Tuesday, I will be able to get takeaways, but the gym is still closed, and I think work will change from 1 person in the building (me), to 3 people in the building. Which might be a bit of "fun" given that the two joining me, really don't get on at all well. Yayyyy.

The best year ever!

Not.

Junior Potato
    Situation mostly normal for me.

Employment-wise, I still have a job. We are still busy. It's like nothing has changed on that front.

Finance-wise, my two housemates have been off work for a month with no income support. Our government has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to front up some help for the freshly unemployed here and they are NOT prepared. One housemate only got approved on Sunday. The other is a New Zealander and is falling through the cracks like so many others. The rent account is about to run dry! The govt gets a F-minus for that performance. Thankfully the Bank of Mum And Dad has loan facilities available.

Family-wise, me and my brothers used to gather at mum and dad's for Sunday roast every weekend. I made the call to put a halt to that in mid-March, the same weekend the Aus GP was cancelled. Dad is a healthy 73-year-old and mum is an overweight former smoker at 64 who has a cyst taking up half of one lung. No chance that we are risking anything there. So instead me and my siblings have been taking turns at doing the groceries for them and making sure that they only go out for essentials.

Social-wise, we have Facebook so my further away friends are right there. My closer friends live in the same neighbourhood - literally at the top of the street - so we still get on the beers on the weekend, but limited to a max of two visitors in any one house, as per the guidelines. No big gatherings or piss-ups.

Things that suck: I'm dying to go to the pub for a steak. I want to ride my motorcycles over the mountains (also to pubs) and enjoy the local universe. Also I'm very apprehensive about the economic recovery we're in for. A conservative government won't be a nice government to the people when austerity hits.

Other than that I'm ticking along.

Lori is worried about money, so she asked me to get some animation work if I can. A few universities across the country have already started cutting faculty salaries. She does not normally get paid over the summer, so it may be a double-whammy soon. I have not sold much art this year. The art event that normally happens in April was postponed until further notice. I usually make several sales then.

I normally just stay home anyway. I miss the luxury of going out. I’ve been avoiding cycling, even though the weather has been good for it lately. We still walk the dog around the neighbourhood. Lori and I normally go grocery shopping together. She has been going alone. We also went out at least once a week for a meal. I kind of miss that. Lori is a good cook, so it is not that big a deal.

I have been doing a lot of iRacing and Xboxing.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I don't know if I mentioned it, but I got laid off a few weeks ago....however since I was with the company for 14+ years I got a very nice severance and I also cashed in my 401K...(yes I know...but I trust my own investment in my business right now over the stock market that drops 30% in a week.) I also got the $1,200 government handout and $1,000 SBA loan that we don't have to pay back (even though it was supposed to be $10K!!)

So I technically could be fine for 6 months without a full time job and in the meantime I'm investing in starting to sell 3D printers soon once manufacturing of the parts get ramped back up.

Laid off since 3/22. Only had been there a month, got fired in January from the place I was at since November. Didn't make enough money to qualify for unemployment. I should be able to get pandemic unemployment assistance though, just waiting for it to clear.

In the meantime I have picked up scale models as a hobby.

I've tried to keep the "volume down" on the whole shitshow of a year we were dealt, I mean, it's looking grim, so I try not to think too much about it and instead do whatever little actions can aggregate to better prospects for the medium term.

Alas, the inmmediate term is biting hard.

Today in Mexico we woke up to really terrible news. Hopefully they get downgraded to "bad" by the beginning of May.
    acket.