Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 eff yeah

Junior Potato
    That's spectacular. Crazy that they got footage of it from a drone. I'm so glad that nobody was hurt in the incident.

What did you mean? I thought the bad guys were hurt real bad and killed by James Bond!

Imma come in with the "Goldeneye wasn't bad, but other Bond movies were better" and "They were going to deconstruct the place anyway".

I've been getting Persian food for Thanksgiving for the last few years. Not the same as Assyrian food, but pretty close, and hey, I can be thankful that my Assyrian ancestors made it here in 1925 and weren't part of the 25-50% that were killed when Turks, Arabs, and Kurds committed genocide of Christian minorities.

I don't spend much time celebrating the classic Thanksgiving story, nor do I dwell on the Native American death toll. I also don't spend much time dwelling on the tens of millions killed during the Three Kingdoms period while watching media set in that era.

Violent crime in Chicago, like many major American cities, might be exceptionally bad this year, and I had a lot of mandatory overtime, but said OT pays well.

I love Persian food, sadly the restaurant I liked shutdown about 2 years ago and I haven't found a good replacement anywhere nearby.
    -Formerly Stabulator

We're pretty lucky on that front, the neighborhood I used to live in and now live about two miles away from is referred to as Tehrangeles. I'd never had sumac before and really wonder why it isn't more common outside of Persian food.

Yeah, it's way more useful than its commonality in the US would indicate. Great on simple things like aglio et olio
    -Formerly Stabulator

My aunt Lucy just passed away. My grandmother, her mother-in-law, never really accepted her as part of the family, probably because she was a really good person who loved everyone as opposed to my grandmother who's last words to my sister and I was to let us know we were going to hell. That leaves my uncle as the last member of my extended family in the US.

Lucy and Michele became friends immediately and she was one of my favorite people. Whenever we had to go to Arizona for the holidays, my grandparents house was the non-fun place while Doug & Lucy's was where all the fun was. The Apple ][ that I got my start programming on and played Choplifter and Sabotage on for hours, Lucy's big collection of Game & Watch games. Lucy let me watch my first rated R movie, Robocop, when I was 13. I don't think my parents actually know about that.

Later on, we'd go visit and she'd always break out some really nice bottle of wine out of her collection when we were there, and we'd grill steaks and she'd microwave potatoes and despite that being blasphemy, they were still pretty good. She was the only member of my family (outside of Michele and I) to make it a point to tell us that she loved us every time we were leaving.

She and Doug are probably the main reason I'm as into motorsports as I am. My dad would occasionally watch the big races, but it's through them I learned about Formula 1 as a kid.

I am so ready for this year to be over.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; December 5th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.

Junior Potato
    Ahhh dude. What can I do but send condolences and virtual hugs?

Buy a new cat next year and name it Fuck 2020.

26 days to go.

Sorry to hear it, man.