Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 7

Administrator
    I'll have to see what can work with my schedule - Sunday nights are particularly problematic, so there's that. That's been my main problem with any sort of organized racing though, finding a good time that works week to week for that large of a time block.

Another question - why do they call them daily races if they happen every half hour or so and change weekly?

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt7/...22340868475813

this one's for the thinking drinkers

Junior Potato
    Back when GT Sport came out they actually had them changing daily, but then switched to a weekly format.

Administrator
    Looks like there's a bug with the AI that appears to pre-date the new 1.15 version as I ran into it a few days ago before the patch came out. Sometimes, when the AI pits, it'll actually come out of the pits ahead of where it would have been if it hadn't pitted at all.

I thought maybe I was mistaken when I did one of those 10-lap accelerated tire wear/fuel usage races when this happened. I was short shifting and running lean trying to do the whole race without pitting. At one point I'd made it to third and then saw first, second, and fourth all pit on lap 9, then somehow afterwards I was in fourth rather than third. Now there are a bunch of videos popping up on Reddit of AI cars pulling off into the pits directly in front of the player and then reappearing on the track even farther ahead at pit exit.

So - don't bother with any endurance type events or accelerated wear/fuel races. Or if you do, be grateful the AI doesn't pit every lap, because then you'd be well and truly fucked.

Junior Potato
    I think that’s because the game doesn’t handle the pit lane travel time very realistically. You basically auto-pit as soon as you get to pit entrance (often at 300km/h rather than safe pit speed) then wait for the pit stop animation, then are teleported to pit exit.

It might be dependent on the track too. If there was a long pit lane in GT Sport you'd only lose 4 seconds when pitting, which really killed any tyre or fuel saving strategy.

Administrator
    At least in this case, the AI are going through the pits at a higher average speed than the cars that aren't pitting. They're literally gaining time - I lost a spot to a car in the pits while I stayed out.

Administrator
    I'm starting to think the key to fixing online racing is damage. Even if you're not dishing out time penalties, causing actual damage to your car by ramming other drivers might make people think twice about doing it.

I know it hasn't cured everything in iRacing, but iRacing's still a hell of a lot better than this.

Administrator
    In other news, enjoyable set of videos about the first four GT games (and similar racing games) from Digital Foundry.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm starting to think the key to fixing online racing is damage. Even if you're not dishing out time penalties, causing actual damage to your car by ramming other drivers might make people think twice about doing it.

I know it hasn't cured everything in iRacing, but iRacing's still a hell of a lot better than this.
    iRacing is so far ahead of GT that it’s almost a joke. The golden era was in 2018/19, before they started experimenting with the penalty system. The racing was a lot cleaner, even in B and C lobbies. Then they took away collision penalties and people started ramming their way to the podium, and that completely messed with the organic make-up of the rankings. It was never the same after that.

One thing I did notice was that the Nations and Manufacterers Cup races were always a lot better in terms of behaviour. They only took place on two nights each week and directly affected the best drivers’ ability to get into the top 16. For people in the top 100 it was their chance to try and improve.

I haven’t tried GT7 online at all but I’d be curious to see if the Cup races are the same as they were in GTS. If they are it might be a good idea to only take part in those races and have a better time of it, and save wasting your life in the daily races.

Somehow since the handling update, I've lost interest in GT7. That may be total co-incidence, but it just hasn't grabbed me in the same way any more. Maybe I'll get back into it in future.