Thread: iPhone-style Autocorrect on PC?

Junior Potato

iPhone-style Autocorrect on PC?

Has anyone got knowledge of a really good autocorrect app that can be used on PC?

Especially for typing on website text fields in Chrome (i.e. an extension that can cover this), but also for all the other things you do in PC, which could be helpful to non-Chrome users.

I know that Windows 10 has a built-in autocorrect feature but as far as I can tell, my testing seems to suggest that it is only useful if you use a tablet with an on-screen keyboard.

I use i-devices a lot now and I'm used to having autocorrect, so my typing really sucks and I'm struggling to mash the words into a normal keyboard with any finesse. For example, I typed this into notepad while trying out the built-in autocorrect feature: "notepad is grat I must imporove my typoing"

As you can imagine, it's very frustrating to have to go back to every sentence and correct my mistakes, including with this very post. It ruins the flow if I'm on a roll with my geysering verbosity.

I could just git gud and type better, but fuck that; I'm a Gen-Y and I am entitled to something where I don't have to put in the effort.

Plz halp

Nope. Git gud.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    It ruins the flow if I'm on a roll with my geysering verbosity.

I suggest you audit a high school typing class. Manual typewriters are best if you can find a school that still uses them, but an IBM Selectric will do the job just as well if that's all they have in these modern times.

Why a typewriter? Because you have to practically smash the keys by comparison to modern devices, so your keystrokes are more deliberate and therefore more accurate for those passionately verbose missives.

And, you'll learn fun sentences such as the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog ape.
    Last edited by George; July 21st, 2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling 8^D

Or just play Mario Teaches Typing.

Junior Potato
    A potentially happy compromise may have been achieved.

My housemate shoved a Logitech Bluetooth tablet keyboard in my face this evening. It’s not a full PC thing, but I can slot my iPad into it and I am able to type on real buttons (remember those?) and my real keyboard muscle memory is being complimented by the really good iOS autocorrect that is not available in a proper computer.

It’s only been an hour and I am finding it really weird; I want to grab a mouse where none exists, and I want to hold the physical space bar and use it as a cursor. I will have to adjust. But I can smash the space bar twice to get a period, and I can omit capitalisation at the start of a sentence and it will fix it for me. I am legitimately happily typing this post with very relative ease because it has removed a lot of the friction I am experiencing with typing lots of words in either format (being iOS or normal PC).

It’s too early to say if this is a game changer but it looks like I might rely on this in the short term. Longer-term it might be a way to rebuild my keyboard skills. Something I haven’t really mentioned is that I thought I used to be pretty good at typing maybe 10 years ago, but using touch-interface typing in the intervening years might’ve taken that away since then.

I am no office professional, but doing this study course I am in right now has really highlighted that in the last few months.

Onwards and upwards by friends.

I am glad that you found a solution that has the features you want but also lets you git gud at typing.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Man, I wonder if that would work for an Android phone. I just have never truly gotten the hang of typing on a touchscreen. Android's Messages for Web letting me use my real keyboard on my real computer to send texts has been a godsend.

Junior Potato

I just spotted a typo right at the end of my last post oh shit

Ummm yes, Tom the keyboard works on all Bluetooth devices. It’s a Logitech K480. There’s a slot to mount your device and switches for different systems like Android, PC and iOS. I suppose any Bluetooth keyboard will do the trick.