Thread: Samoht goes electric - 2021 Citroen e-C4

Samoht goes electric - 2021 Citroen e-C4

I've been keen to get an EV since Atsuko organised us to hire a Leaf for a day several years back, and with the McLaren handling road trips with elan and the Mercedes proving rather expensive to keep as a local runabout, the stars aligned. Even better, EV prices have crashed hard this year, one might even say they're AWESOME VALUE now.

Atsuko didn't want a Korean car (don't ask), and while the BMW i3 was tempting, it's also a bit small and only fast-charges at 50 kW.

In the galaxy of Stellantis shared-platforms, Citroen aim to distinguish their C4 by making it larger, 13cm longer in the wheelbase and wider so it's nearer Focus dimensions than the supermini 208, and more comfortable, with rally-derived hydraulic bump stops to eat up our broken tarmac, extra-comfy seats and generally more attention paid to refinement. That seemed like a great match with a smooth, silent EV drivetrain, and the size means it takes a bicycle easily. The motorway range, 120-140 miles or so at 70mph, is mediocre but enough for what I want it for, and 100 kW charging means 20 minute stops if I do take it further afield.

(let me know if you can't see the photos)

Anyway, I love it! It's a really nice comfortable driving position, not feet-up like many EVs. It drives super-smoothly, and it's the first car I've had where I don't bother to avoid potholes, it just eats them up (195/60 tyres are part of this). The radar cruise works really well even down to standstill, and it's very quiet - as a car to listen to music in at 70mph it knocks the McLaren into a cocked hat. It's actually quite fun to run down a good road, with the immediate even throttle response; you have to consider the weight and the soft suspension, but that's part of the fun. As an everyday car it simplifies and de-dramatises driving in traffic, it definitely reduces stress. It has good performance at 'normal' speeds up to about 60mph; obviously with only 130hp it doesn't have the power to make big overtakes at speed that I'm used to, but I can live with that, can always take the other car out if I feel the need for speed. It's the top spec so has heated leather seats and a few other nice features.

Amusingly, the cheapest way is to charge it up a little bit at a time, rather than up to 100% in one go This is because I've gone to an electricity tariff that has cheap off-peak electricity for five hours a night, but it's not worth getting a proper charger for the miles I do, so it charges at about 2.3 kW or about 12 kWh in those five hours. So by letting it charge about ~25% a night through the week, it's cheaper than leaving it turned on for ~18 hours to charge fully in one go

I'm now plotting to take it on a longer trip weirdly enough, just to see how the charging works out.

Nice! Glad you're enjoying it.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Nice indeed! We don’t have that in the States. I wonder which car in the US is related to that? Look kinda like VW ID4 proportion, but probably more related to Alfa Romeo Tonale?

It sounds like a decent runabout for times when you don't want to be H4RdC0r3?1//1?!?!!! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Nice indeed! We don’t have that in the States. I wonder which car in the US is related to that? Look kinda like VW ID4 proportion, but probably more related to Alfa Romeo Tonale?
    It's on the Stellantis EMP1 / Common Modular Platform for smaller cars. These start with the Peugeot 208 and Vauxhall/Opel Corsa, and their 2008 and Mokka 'crossover' variants. There is then the Citroen C4 and DS 3 Crossback (Citroen's attempt at an upmarket brand). The platform also supports EVs, it launched with a 50 kWh battery (46 kWh useable) and 134hp motor which is what I have; this year the battery was upgraded to 51 kWh useable, and the Jeep Avenger was launched with this upgraded spec, now shared with its platform-mates.

The Toenail was already in development before the 2021 merger of FiatChrysler with PSA, so didn't have access to the latter's EMP1 platform. Instead it uses the platform from the 2005 Fiat Punto, alongside the Jeep Renegade and Compass.

Even Jeep avenger won’t be available in the US though… maybe it’s just too small for US market?

Anyway, your ride looks pretty big actually.

Neat thing with some fresh styling! I really like the back end and the taillights.

Also very cool to see big sidewalls on a modern car. They ride so well as you say.

Today I learned that elan is an actual word, not just the name of a car. Given the definition of the word, I'm not surprised Lotus named the car so.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan
    Also very cool to see big sidewalls on a modern car.
    Tall tires rock!

At least they're easier on the wallet.
    Last edited by George; November 27th, 2023 at 02:45 PM.

Nice ride.