Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 240sx

My 240sx

1992 Nissan 240sx SE

Bought it 2002 as my first car, it had been my favorite car since learning about them in gran turismo and like anyone of us when you start looking for your first car you dream.

Oddly enough I was dreaming about muscle cars at the time and wanting to get a late 60s Dodge Dart 340. In hindsight that would have been a terrible idea and yet I would still like to now. Parents were not up for it surprisingly. Didn't really think about the S13 until I was watching Initial D.

Eventually I was allowed to tap into my college fund for a car and found a nice 240sx on ebay and took a shot. Couple weeks later it was delivered (on le mans weekend). Drove it lightly while learning to drive, as 5 speed is great but not the best way to go from scratch. Couple of dents a couple of dings.

Failed my driving test. Didn't have a lot of time in the car I took to the test and probably should have focused on it more but yea. First thing I did was apologize to my 240sx. Looking back, it is clear that I already was suffering from pretty bad depression, I didn't drive or do anything with cars for years afterwards. Just felt like continuous failure.

Kept the 240sx in okay shape, moved it back and forth in the driveway once or twice a month to keep everything in order. Starter eventually goes out and don't have time or money to fix it so it sits and sits....

Sat for 15yrs. I am not proud of it. It's in good shape for what it's been through but it looks miserable for what I think it should be. I always planned to fix it, to bring it back to what it should be but never had the time or the money at the same time.

Last year my mom passed away from lung cancer. Because of my parents divorce, the money she was entitled to get from my father's pension was to be split between me and my brother. It took a year almost to the day for us to get the money. The same day the check arrived my dad sends me a text saying that the cops stopped by and I had ten days to move my car.

I ended up moving in with my stepdad when my mom passed. I thought that in some way it would facilitate helping getting my 240sx back on the road. Garage was used as a race shop in the 50s and 60s, even has a couple 327s chilling in the old machine shop. What I really didn't expect is that my stepdad would become such a prick. Originally he was fine with it and now he says that I only have until October 23rd to get it to the point that it can drive on the road.

Was dropped off yesterday. Two galleries are of the progress and condition from the last week.

http://imgur.com/a/YyLta5D

http://imgur.com/a/E7xXiSv

Cleaned it out, put it in 3rd and pushed it back and forth and fan and belts moved so I believe the engine is not seized. Gas tank was drained shortly after the starter died, and starter was replaced a previous time when I thought I was going to be able to get it running again.

I'm not optimistic about getting it running by Oct 22nd, not at all as something like the starter being frozen will sink me( had help putting the new one on, as I couldn't jack the car up high enough to work on).

Good luck.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Hey! Nice project.

If I was in the vecinity I'd be helping you... vacuum the car or popping the beers open, bc I'm not much of a mechanic. Hopefully you can get it moving in the next few months.
    acket.

Mon: fuel tank reinstalled, had to replace the hoses from the hardlines to the tank. One of them was seemingly held on by a conduit bracket.

Today changing the engine oil, plugs, and wires. Cleaning out the maf and intake system. Cleaning the battery terminals.

Not so much worried about the car mechanically at this point (though I expect to be let down there), I'm just worried about the electrical system just because you know.... It runs on magic smoke...

Good luck! I don't really have much to offer as I've never revived a car that sat for years. It seems like a good idea to make sure the fuel system is clean and free of rust, change all fluids, and inspect anything rubber or electrical. Actually I know what my first step would be - deep cleaning so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with and get less dirty fixing it up.

I came out of the back end of the car like I had cleaned out a crematorium. Otherwise it's not terribly dirty after the pressure spray off and clearing out the interior. I'm still shocked by the lack of rust I am finding

Hardlines seemed in good condition, soft lines were clogged, tank was clean and dry on the inside when I drained it and replaced the seal. Plan on changing the fuel filter a couple of times when if it gets running just to be safe. Same for oil/oil filter

Changed that today, old oil was an amberish color and clear, no where close to the dark dark.

Rubber hoses look okay, plan on changing the radiator and hoses at some point but might put it further down the priority list for the time being. Same with the belts. Tested the coolant and it's still full cooling ability.
    Last edited by Rikadyn; July 30th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.

Any 15 year old rubber will probably not be long for this world if it's not a problem already. Belts and hoses should probably be on your short list to at least have handy when you start the car, if nothing else. I've had radiator hoses look fine and leak anyway, from time to time.

I forget if those are interference engines, if they are you'll want to replace the timing belt before you attempt to start the car.

Chain instead of belt, and Nissan doesn't consider it a wear part, but I should be able to know if it's an issue before it goes. Ordered full belts and hoses plus the radiator (oem has plastic end tanks) just to be safe.

Junior Potato
    Heck yeah! Looks like you don't have a lot to do apart from cleaning and replacing consumables/rubber bits.

Have you had a chance to take any progress pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Heck yeah! Looks like you don't have a lot to do apart from cleaning and replacing consumables/rubber bits.

Have you had a chance to take any progress pics?

That's the last two weeks or so of work otherwise nothing really photographic being done
    Last edited by Rikadyn; July 31st, 2020 at 05:49 AM.