Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beirut...

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Well how much more explodey does the fuel oil make it?
    Fairly more explodey, though with a few minutes of googling I was unable to find actual figures. Having had a misspent youth in a small town with easy access to the raw materials necessary for experimentation, I'll tell you that the resulting crater is bigger by a good margin.
    -Formerly Stabulator

That is really insane amount of ammonium nitrate accumulated over the years... compared to past incidents...

I think the record holder for non-nuclear explosions remains to be Halifax blast... this incident is probably 2/3 the size of that record... pretty damn close. Compared to Hiroshima... this accident is probably 15% of that according to this report: https://www.dnaindia.com/world/repor...ombing-2836137

So I had a conversation with my friend who did EOD in the army rangers for a number of years. Apparently perfect ammonium nitrate under ideal conditions results in an explosion at 20% of straight tnt, where ANFO is more like 35-38%. The relevant materials in beirut likely resulted in something like 12% of tnt, as it degrades in heat an over time while also becoming more unstable.
    -Formerly Stabulator