Thread: I bought a Red Hydrogen One smartphone and I don't hate it

I bought a Red Hydrogen One smartphone and I don't hate it

Out of my love for bizarre and unique cell phones, I discovered that the price of a like-new Red Hydrogen one smartphone had dropped to very low levels, so I bought one. It's my first "new" smartphone since my Galaxy Note Edge that came out in 2014, and was the first smartphone with a curved screen. So, just moving from a 2014 phone to a 2018 one is a huge jump in performance for me. It's a little sad because I think the 3D display is actually pretty cool. But now knowing that the phone is a massive flop, it's a bit like looking at a future that might have been. There is a pathetic amount of content actually in 3D for this phone, and there surely isn't any more coming.

I never wanted to get a smartphone that I couldn't easily swap out the battery on since I tend to keep phones for many years, but I bit the bullet and made an exception for this. Even still, I'm pretty bummed that this funky phone seems like it's destined for the scrap heap in a few years once the battery wears out, being that it will almost certainly be impossible to buy a replacement battery for it by then. Any suggestions on how to keep it going past that point are welcome.

Don't charge it past 80%, don't let it discharge past 20%, only charge it while turned off if possible.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Don't charge it past 80%, don't let it discharge past 20%, only charge it while turned off if possible.
    Yeah, that seems to be what I'm reading online. Ugh, what a crappy way to manage your battery though. I always try to keep my phone charged. Hate having the stress of having a low battery.

Car charging cable and portable power bank will help that, but yeah.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Car charging cable and portable power bank will help that, but yeah.
    Yeah I have those things, just a PITA to haul around a power bank sometimes. Oh well, this phone's battery is far more massive than my Note Edge's was, so maybe it will be ok.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Hate having the stress of having a low battery.
    Why would you stress if it doesn't go below 20%

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Why would you stress if it doesn't go below 20%

Anyway, looking around online it seems like people have figured out that the 3D format the phone uses is a pretty standard format of 3D videos. So with nothing more than a small change to the filename, the phone will seemingly play most 3D movies in 3D. So that's pretty cool to not be limited to the tiny amount of 3D content offered through the phone itself. I just downloaded a 3D version of the movie Gravity, and it plays on the phone in 3D.

Also, if you can, deactivate Quick Charge. It will charge slower but it will preserve battery life in the long term.

Does not look like the phone has an option to turn off quick charging. So, the only way I could not quick charge it would be to not use a quick charger. Anyway, I'm getting used to not just automatically plugging it in at night. I think this is going to be workable because this phone's battery is massive, it charges really fast when I do use a quick charger, and it seems to be way more efficient than my old phone. Really the rate that it drains down is amazingly slow compared to my old phone. And also it seems like the jury is really out as to whether or not fast charging actually damages the battery.

So the long life combined with the fast charging means that I don't really feel compelled to plug it in overnight. I think just periodically putting it on the charger until it hits 80% will be a workable solution for me.

You could charge and drain it only a little at a time.