Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruno's debian box

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar

Bruno's debian box

Like I said on the Raspberry thread, I'm setting up a debian computer for the little one (bc of privacy concerns and as away to get him familiarized with white boxes).

But I just can't seem to get either USB dongle to work (BT [generic chinese thing] and Wifi [tplink]).

There's all kinds of tutorials for Ubuntu and Mint but not for Debian 10. I just can't find a way to compile the git on the terminal and the Synaptic pack manager says that Wayland is getting in its way.
    acket.

As soon as that's sorted, I'll be asking you lot about how to install Steam.
    acket.

Administrator
    Hah, it's been a while, I don't have a dedicated linux box these days They still use apt for everything on Debian much like Ubuntu, right? We use Ubuntu for pretty much all of our production EC2 instances, so I'm vaguely familiar with that, but I haven't used Debian in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They still use apt for everything on Debian much like Ubuntu, right?
    Yes.
    acket.

eesh. I'm reasonably linux-competent and have a decent amount of debian experience, but the one time (like 12-14 years ago) that I tried to set up a wireless usb dongle it was borderline traumatic - I went through like 3 separate distros before I finally bailed and bought a new internal card rather than fight it anymore. and I've never even attempted to get usb blutooth to work.
    Even though it would obviously be more effort I'd almost rather do it on Arch, given that debian's brand of slightly persnickety seems to be a little less in-line with how I work, somehow.
    -Formerly Stabulator

acket.

Here's the manufacturer's web site. which zip am i supposed to get?

I ask bc i try to "make install" and the terminal returns an "error 127", which if i understand it correctly, means that the driver is for an x86 system, not for a AMD64, right?
    acket.

I am now logged in XORG and not in the default Wayland, so I can use synaptic, but i can't seem to find the package for that particular usb dongle.
    acket.

Some guy recommends adding i386 architecture

Code:
    dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update
    what dou you guys reckon?
    acket.

Administrator
    It looks like 127 is the error code, at least in bash, that whatever you were trying to run wasn't in the path. Essentially, "binary not found".

Everything at this point should be "AMD64", it encompasses basically every 64 bit architecture that's been around for at least the past decade.