Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I bought this thing

Before I got promoted to my work-from-home position I was driving 50 miles to work each way. I worked downtown in a city but lived among farms in the next county over.

Is that your front yard? Very cool if so. I live in a dense suburb and miss living out in the country or at least not being able to see into others' windows and being surrounded by their fenced-in barking dogs.

I hope that Honda is as good to you as our high-mileage ones have been to us. I would buy a 2005 Honda with 185K with no hesitation if there were no obvious red flags. My wife and I have owned three Hondas with over 200K (and still have one) and they just keep going and going like the Energizer bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    US of A. Big country with straight, wide roads.

Natl Avg commute is 26 minutes, at a rate of 50 mph, that's 200 miles per week. Mileage does add up quickly in the States.
    I know, I just find the difference staggering.

It's the big upside for importing jdm cars.

Anyway, did an alternator test after the first set of headlights and passed that fine.Tried the am radio trick to hear if it was doing anything on the road and didn't really hear anything, so thinking it's just battery.

Cars in Japan can also do a lot of miles as it's not a small country. But something like 185K miles on a 15 year old would still be rare. 185K km would be far more common.

So voltage regulator decided to give me hell all week and the alternator died itself today.

Interestingly enough, driving it with low voltage it seems to turn off vsa and abs boy it's a different vehicle under direct control

Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    Okay so odd issue has popped up. Month ago I wet sanded and coated my headlights, next day the bulbs blew (cold start air temp around freezing). Changed them at work (had them on me just didn't get it done yet). Two weeks later, same conditions, they popped again. Figured it was the alternator voltage regulator, but it passed fine.

This morning I got a battery light, but it went off about 10mins of driving
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    So voltage regulator decided to give me hell all week and the alternator died itself today.

Interestingly enough, driving it with low voltage it seems to turn off vsa and abs boy it's a different vehicle under direct control
    It's 3am, I can't sleep and i'm still on South African time I guess.

So, Honda CRVs and Civics have a criminally undersized battery in my opinion. They use a 51R size battery, when every single other car in their size class is using a group size 35 battery or larger. It'd be wise, again, IMO, to buy a bigger battery. When I was working in the tire center, the number one battery that came back under warranty was the 51R on the CRV and Civic. Because they are so popular in So Cal.

Check your battery tray first to see if the tray is the size of the 51R or larger. If it's larger just buy the bigger battery. The hold down clamp may need ot be changed to accomodate the bigger battery so be mindful of that. But accords and pilots are plentiful in the wrecking yards so you can get one for cheap, as long as they use a similar battery hold down.

Just came back from Zimbabwe. While I was there I was using my aunts car most of the time. 2001 Nissan Sylphy. (a little bigger than a comparable Sentra but not as big as an Altima. Maybe just a hair smaller than a first gen Altima.) Noticed a few issues, like sometimes stalling in gear at idle (auto.) So i bought a bunch of parts for it. Including a bigger battery. I had to change the terminals on her battery though, because the smaller battery on her car came with smaller battery terminals. It could have been just a tired battery, but for just a little bit more the bigger battery was a peace of mind choice/ upgrade.

Ended up getting the alternator replaced, drove in on battery capacity and all of 8v remaining.

A new issue popped up in that the driver side headlight turns on both high and low and only at half brightness (passenger side is a normal.)

20220123_103424.jpg

Oh and turning high beams on turns off the driver side
    Last edited by Rikadyn; January 23rd, 2022 at 09:18 AM.

IMG_20220203_190808_250.jpg

I like this thing in the snow, but fuck do the wheel wells pack up quick, including to touching the tires.

Still need to fix the headlights...