Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Hiatus

Junior Potato

Facebook Hiatus

If anyone hasn’t noticed, it’s been two weeks since I have checked into Facebook. One day I felt sick of the shit and the habitual logging-in to see the latest pile of inane drivel that my friends have splattered out. I remember consciously thinking that I was having a good day… until I logged into Facebook and saw something stupid.

So I stopped looking. No big announcement, no shutting down of pages, nothing. I just left it alone. And I don’t miss it one bit.

It probably comes as no surprise that I’m here looking at things a bit more since I’ve got slightly more time to myself, but I am also doing other, more worthwhile things too. I simply developed a habit that if I was to hover my finger over the Facebook app icon on my phone I’d just do something… anything different. Since that time I feel like a much calmer person who is slightly more at peace with the world.

One thing I do miss, however, is seeing my friends interstate sharing what they’re getting up to in lockdown. Or the often hilarious exchanges that take place. But I’ve never once in these two weeks felt like I am being left out from anything. Really, how much time or energy - both my own and at a societal level - is social media really worth?

It could all burn down tomorrow and I couldn’t care less. And the world would be a much nicer place.

I hope your choices bring you additional piece of mind without fully disconnecting you from your loved ones and the important bits of society
    Get that weak shit off my track

I don't have an account.

I’ve been thinking of quitting Facebook for 10 years now. When I stop and really think about it I realize that it really does nothing for me. Never has.

If political BS irks you and if you get jealous of other people’s fabulous fake lives, then for sure FB isn’t for you.

My main problem is I’d waste too much time on FB or YouTube or even here!

But I ain’t gonna blame social media... surely if I quit them, I’ll be able to find other new things to waste my time on!

I like seeing personal posts from friends to see what they are doing. I ignore or hide everything else when I can.

I have not tried it, but there is a browser extension called FB Purity that can hide a lot of the junk, among other things.

I don't have enough friends on fb for anyone to ever notice if I left.

Do I have to be the usual arsehole and be the one telling it?
    "It is not Facebook, but your friends that post bullshit"...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    Do I have to be the usual arsehole and be the one telling it?
    "It is not Facebook, but your friends that post bullshit"...
    It is facebook. I significantly cut down on the time I spent there about a year ago.

All the scripts the page runs were doing some crazy scrolling, plus their data collection, storage and tracking policies are shit. I hate how it is programmed to hide certain 'unpopular' replies; since I don't click on the controversial threads, sometimes someone is asking for directions or where to buy X, but it only shows the replies that provoke the Lulz. It also has too much control on what it shows you thru the bell icon.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I can’t agree either Blerps.

Facebook and other social media is drawing out behaviours that you would not see in physical space. I know a person who admitted that they had heated arguments with their friend’s aunties. Basically verbally bashing old ladies who they never met before.

It has fostered the rise of anti-vax, anti-science and a whole load of other racist niche groups. This stuff existed before Facebook but the platform made it so easy for it to flourish.

Then we move onto the dozens of people who I’ve met in various situations, good people who I admire and respect, so I add them as FB friends. Then they open their mouths on various topics such as refugees, welfare, abortion, indigenous affairs, foreign policy, etc, and discover that they are really heartless cunts.

I know that there’s an argument to be made about not tolerating certain opinions, and I don’t tolerate them; I remove people from my feed who espouse them. But I think we would be better off if they didn’t have a platform for their opinions in the first place.