Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Hiatus

I respectfully disagree. I think it’s better than we have the option to ignore, delete or unfollow someone rather than not giving them a voice at all.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    There's a difference between stuff that people would hush about in real-life situations and a profit-driven, controversy-feeding, gossip machine.
    acket.

I've never been on Facebook. I was pretty much off the internet for about three years due to a job that kept me working just about constantly in the early/mid 2000s. After I moved across the country and got a job that had me in front of a computer again, everyone was on MySpace and Facebook and maybe Twitter had started too - I'm pretty ignorant about all three. I think this forum was called The Green [Something] then - I want to say The Green Lantern, but that wasn't it. I found it from searching user names I remembered such as Speedpimp and Wagsboy.

My wife will occasionally show me something on Facebook from people we know back east and one person on this forum, but other than that, I'm pretty clueless about what goes on there. Like Twitter, it doesn't seem to "read" well. I'll see something and then scroll down and the replies will often be completely unrelated to the posts above it.

I'm happy here and at a couple similar "old-fashioned" forums for other interests.
    Last edited by George; October 4th, 2020 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    If political BS irks you and if you get jealous of other people’s fabulous fake lives, then for sure FB isn’t for you.

My main problem is I’d waste too much time on FB or YouTube or even here!

But I ain’t gonna blame social media... surely if I quit them, I’ll be able to find other new things to waste my time on!
    It's just about time lost. Not necessarily participating, but just scrolling through everything.

I wouldn't equate it to YouTube because for that you could at least be entertained or learn something, (just ignore the comments).

One day I just want to log out of Facebook. Not delete my account, but delete the app on my phone. Just log out and leave the account as is, and never log back in.

It's easier said than done.

Occasionally quitting FB can be good for our soul. Permanently quit FB like George also can’t be that harmful either.

I think it’s also important to not jump to the worst possible conclusions or read too much in between the lines with peoples comments. Without immediate facial expressions and body language, we can easily misinterpret things.

Social media should just complement our social lives. If it replaces our social lives, then it can definitely be a problem.

Administrator
    I'm really torn because there are people I care about that I would otherwise probably not have contact with due to Facebook. The push vs. pull thing works for me, when friends have major life events, I hear about them without regularly polling.

I also almost never subscribe to "pages", so I think that makes my feed less horrifying.

I do think most of these sites can be used in mostly positive ways, but you have to be very aware of the ways it's trying to steer you towards the negative.

Yeah, we all have to have a bit of self control in order to not fall into the trap... my perspective is this... FB is almost like the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Yes, it’s human nature to blame the serpent or eve or even God for creating that damn tree. Just as it’s easy to blame it’s offensive content or Russians bots or even Mark Zuckerberg for creating it.

This tree or FB can be both good and evil, it’s also up to us to make some good out of it or let some evil out. Of course its creator definitely is responsible somewhat, but ultimately we ourselves need to make the right choices and not just default to our human nature to shift responsibilities and blame other people when things go south... don’t blame the serpent for tempting you or blame eve for tricking you. You made your own choice. We need to choose wisely in order the steer away from negative BS...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 4th, 2020 at 10:59 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Junior Potato
    As you guys might have seen, I’m posting on Facebook again to share updates on my current predicament.

I can already feel myself being sucked back into the black hole. I have to be very strict and not go scrolling through feeds because they are not worth my time.

Hey, use this time for GOOD habit building, not bad ones.

VR headsets. Immersive games. Content creation/streaming.
    Get that weak shit off my track