Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Hiatus

Jeez, I guess I use Facebook in a much different way than everyone else. I only look at personal stuff and ignore/hide everything else.
    Last edited by Cam; October 19th, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

Speedy recovery

And I think FB is good for keeping in touch, especially because of significant events.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Jeez, I guess I use Facebook in a much different way than everyone else. I only look at personal stuff and ignore/hide everything else.
    I feel like I'm pretty much in the same boat. As I said earlier, I subscribe to very few "pages". Mostly the GTX one, one for my local cycling advocacy group, a couple of local restaurants I like, and the awesome beer shop down the road. Nothing political, nothing "news"-y, and I almost never accept friend requests from people I don't personally know.

Now, Twitter on the other hand, that's just a maelstrom of madness.

Haven't been on facebook in 5 years. Don't miss it. At all.

Facebook seems to be nearly all my 85-year-old mother uses the Internet for.

Wife has some FB friends who are Trump supporters and apparently they're being silenced by FB when it comes to politics...

It's nice to stop the spread of misinformation of course, but not sure if such heavy handed approach won't back fire?

Social media should bear some responsibility to stop the spread of misinformation, but where should that line be draw is really tricky.

It'd be nice if AI could just pick up stuff and quickly slap on true or false or somewhere in between label on posts instead of just deleting or hiding posts...

{edit}
    Actually, I think my wish has been granted! I just saw a fact check label on one of Roofer's posts! The label stated that it's partially untrue and provided a link to politifact... awesome!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 27th, 2020 at 08:03 AM.

Administrator
    Your wife's friends are wrong. They aren't being silenced by FB. They're still on there, aren't they? Hell, Mark Zuckerberg had dinner with Trump and Peter Thiel late last year, it's not like they're vicious enemies.

If it were true, Roofer would have been booted from the platform long ago, he's long violated their rules about using your real name so they have a perfectly good excuse to drop him.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 27th, 2020 at 09:11 AM.

Surely Mark wasn’t just banning his customers out right, but supposedly reviewing some people’s posts and controlling that somehow.

I do agree that’s the responsible thing for them to do, but people on the right for sure won’t be happy about that... roofer is already not very happy with that label FB slapped on his post...

Anyway, currently, FB is probably pissing both sides off. Right is thinking Mark is infringing on their right to speech and the left is thinking they’re not doing enough...

Mark’s the one making the big bucks, he’ll have to figure it out.

Right to speech is protected only in case of government actions that could damage it.
    Facebook could (and should) ban rightwing idiots out and not a thing they could do about it.

Always amazes me I'm a foreigner from the other side of the pond and I know your legislation better than many of your country fellows.
    Also I find hilarious, if not fundamentally pathetic, your whole country lives in a wild free reign capitalist macho system where companies are deemed the right to do whatever they please at expense of workers and common people in the name of profit... but then you whine like babies about companies harming your right to speech (which is not protected in the instances in question).
    Last edited by Blerpa; October 27th, 2020 at 12:04 PM.

Americans tend to want more freedom whether it's legal or not, that's why we have more than our share of anti-maskers... or anti-vaxxers...

Anyway, a social media company will not be successful if it is "perceived" as an entity that's against freedom of their own speech. I think spread of misinformation is a very similar problem as the spread of covid19. If Mark cannot figure out a 'vaccine' against misinfo or a 'mask' to control it..., FB will be in trouble in America.