Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SLM buys a flower shop van

I'm partial to factory radios because they look better and I don't have to pay extra labor to install it.

For an RV, perhaps you should just invest in a good blue tooth speaker that runs off of your phone which you could bring anywhere in and outside of the van?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I'm partial to factory radios because they look better and I don't have to pay extra labor to install it.

For an RV, perhaps you should just invest in a good blue tooth speaker that runs off of your phone which you could bring anywhere in and outside of the van?
    Absolutely not. First, this is the factory stereo. It has all the charm of a 15 year old office phone. Second, I'm going to be driving this all over the country, and I am not messing around with a phone and a bluetooth speaker for all the time that I'm driving.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Ok, that thing is pretty.... hideous!

Resisting messing with the phone is futile. Assimilate the car with something android auto or CarPlay capable, maybe with built in gps? That way, you can still navigate without cell signal.

That’s my setup with my tow vehicle. Besides navigation and music, I’m also relying on my phone to monitor my tranny temperature and as a brake controller for my RV trailer! So CarPlay is a must for me! Phone screen alone just ain’t big enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post

Anyway, I'm on to working on the electrical. I have one big problem. The stereo in this beast is BASIC. It's got radio, that's about it.

Luckily, it is a double DIN size unit, so I have plenty of space to put in a really sweet head unit. What is the current hotness with respect to aftermarket head units?

I'm partial to Alpine myself just because I like pretending it's still the '90s.
    At the front I suggest any of the amazon (or similar) units that have rear view camera capability.

I then suggest a second smaller unit, connected most likely only to the rear speakers in the ... cabin section of the car, that will play music via radio or bluetooth I use the Continental TR7412 in my old Mercedes 250TD wagon. It only had two speakers and an ancient Blaupunkt stereo that sounded awful when I got it. This stereo, coupled with a small, powered, Blaupunkt subwoofer, sounds great. There is a version with a cd player if you still play those.

Nice bloody work by the way.

I'm not around the forum that much these days, hadn't caught this thread yet. Very cool! I've wanted to build a camper van for a while, this one is looking nice!

Way back in the first post you talked about doing a shower in there, is that still in the plans? I didn't see any details on how you'd get it in there, I like the idea but seems challenging inside a connect!

Yeah, probably next to impossible to have a shower in that van... he can probably go for an outside shower?

I recently saw a portable shower system that uses very little water... wonder if it really works...
    https://www.lifeintents.com/lit-stor...er-camp-shower

I'm still planning to definitely have something like a shower. I would not have bothered to engineer the whole hot water system if I wasn't going to do the shower. I also do not want to do any sort of outdoor shower, because it severely limits where you can use it. I could never keep myself clean in a city or even most campgrounds.

I have some ideas on how to make it work. It will be something where you need to sit down to use it.

Anyway, I have done a lot more mechanical and electrical work on the van. It now has running water. I took my first trip in it this weekend, but there's still plenty more work to do to finish it.

1R5_5100.jpg

Awesome! Van life!

Need to show me how you take shower!

Also, you gonna change that decal and find new sponsors eventually, right?

Eventually I think I'm going to change it to "Tim Thompson Flowers" so I don't have the name of an actual person on my van. But otherwise I see no down sides and only benefits to people thinking it's a flower shop van. So I'm probably gonna leave it.

You might have a difficult time color matching the new letter i to the rest of the decal... further, how do you know Tim Thompson isn't real?

Just show us how you shower.