Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, Prayers and good wishes are needed please. V2.0.d

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Total cost $0
    Here it would be 48,90€/hospital day, without low income deductions.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Jesus.

You'd probably be lucky if you got out of that whole thing here for less than $100K, WITH insurance.
    I estimated $100K in Australian dollars. In USD it effectively doubles it!

Even so, it more than covers all of the tax I’ve ever paid since I started earning money as a teenager. The hospital I was in is an amazing facility, and I found myself pondering what a great asset it is to the region; one of the best hospitals in the world completed in 2013 and it’s right on my doorstep. The place is massive and has everything a hospital needs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold...rsity_Hospital

Honestly, as an American, if I or someone in my family had to have the procedures and spend the time time that RWA described, I would expect my family would soon be bankrupt and chased by bill collectors for the rest of our lives. And it's not like I don't work or choose not to have health insurance, either. I have health insurance through my employer like most Americans and I pay an awful lot of money to insure my family of four, but they are choosy about what they cover.

"You owe us nothing. We'll bill your insurance company!" the ladies at the front desks of doctors and dentists all cheerfully say. Then, four to six weeks later, we get a bill from the insurance company for what they won't cover. And I'm not talking about ER visits or any kinds of illnesses, thankfully - just routine dentist and doctor visits that are supposed to be fully covered. Every year at several companies I've worked for, we have to sit through open enrollment meetings for health insurance. They always say preventative maintenance such as dentist visits for teeth cleaning and doctor visits for checkups are 100% covered, but that simply isn't true.

I shudder to think of what they wouldn't cover during a major injury or being admitted for coronavirus.

Average Americans can’t afford an unexpected $500 bill, I can’t believe any debt collector would be able to successfully collect $100k from an average American with or without insurance...

Might as well make it a $100 billion bill.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 9th, 2020 at 04:44 PM.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Average Americans can’t afford an unexpected $500 bill, I can’t believe any debt collector would be able to successfully collect $100k from an average American with or without insurance...
    You know all that money you spend on buying a house for your family?

They can probably take that off you.

No house? Well................ good luck getting any credit for the rest of your life.

Junior Potato
    I don't mean to turn this into a gloating thread, but I find it unfathomable that there are civilised countries out there that don't look after their sick or injured. I grew up with this system in place and it's normal for me. My dad has been to hospital many, many times throughout my childhood because he suffers from angina and erring on the side of caution meant lots of stays in hospital whenever he had *that* feeling in his chest, which would've ruined us financially if we had to pay for it.

In 2012 dad had a triple bypass operation in the Brisbane Princess Alexandria hospital (where I was first admitted for this injury). He was first admitted to the old Gold Coast Hospital then transferred to PA via ambulance for the surgery. Free.

Then in 2017 his GP suggested he might be due for a total knee replacement at the age of 70. The paperwork was submitted and boom, a few weeks later he gets a bed booked and the op happens no problem at all. A week in hospital. Free.

Subsequent follow-up visits for all these things happen via the Allied Health department. I've got to go back for an appointment tomorrow morning for physio. Free.

They just ask for your Medicare card number. The rest is handled by our federal income tax system. It's a single-payer scheme where medical costs are negotiated with the suppliers via one point of contact, so they can't screw individual patients with inflated costs. People just pay a Medicare Levy (if they haven't got private cover) of a couple of hundred dollars a year. The money they take in more than covers the cost of the public healthcare system. Outlying costs such as building a new hospital or educating new doctors and nurses is funded by general revenue under the respective departments (education or public works (infrastructure), etc) at a state level.

The federal government has been wanting to reduce the coverage of Medicare and bring in the state-level health departments into a federal-level umbrella, but to do so would be political suicide. Right now it works, we love it, we don't want to let it go. It sucks that we're fighting to keep it, whereas Americans have to fight to even get this sort of thing off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Jesus.

You'd probably be lucky if you got out of that whole thing here for less than $100K, WITH insurance.
    Totally dependant on insurance.

My 600k in medical bills to this point, 10.7k

9 k of which was donated. Though I could have used my Aflac accident insurance post to handle. Instead, I bought a truck with the Aflac money would last me many years without issues. Donated money an to medical bills.

RWA, I'll make a video on how to get around with a plate or bowl and crutches tomorrow.

It takes some practice, but you can do it safely.

Junior Potato
    Ooh, nice, thank you. It will be a great help.

Currently I just throw my microwave dinners or whatever towards the bench from the fridge, then sit on a barstool in the kitchen with everything in arm’s reach and sit there to prep and consume my food

There’s no way I could stand there and cook a steak dinner or a bacon & egg brekky, unfortunately.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Update:

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Mick fell off his bike in Ostraylia.

He's ripped apart his knee, but it has since been rebuilt; It's kind of like a zombie knee at this point.
    He was treated sweetly by (most) nurses.
    He's going to go to rehab, yeah, yeah, yeah!
    He's back to his smart-arse self.

I'm updating this thread in the hopes that no one else breaks parts of their body. In Ostraylia or elsewhere.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I've got a leaky wound. It was one of the pin sites for the ex-fix. It's been leaking serous fluid for three weeks now and won't let up, despite it healing and becoming smaller.

To address this, I've been going to the local medical centre every few days to change the dressings.

On the first visit last week (Thursday) the nurse covered it with two dressings: one for the leaky wound and another for the wound just below it. For extra security, she placed a couple of waterproof films over them.

This, I believe, caused the serous fluid to run into the other wound and form a pus globule, with bonus redness for a few mm around the opening. On Saturday I changed the dressing myself, but it was of concern to me so I returned to the medical centre that evening to have it cleaned and changed by a professional. They took a swab and sent me on my way.

Since that night I've been back every two days to have the dressings changed. I was there today when the results came in from the swab: staph infection. 500mg Dicloxacillin four times a day. Just great.