Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporty Used car under $5-7k for my son

It depends again on the specific make/model, that year range is just for the Hyundai Accent. I think it has something to do with the introduction of push button start, at least on the Accent. The issue only applies to Accents after 2015 without push button start, before 2015 push button start was not an option. The 2015+ cars with the push button start have an immobilizer as you'd expect.

So anyway I don't know that anything Kia/Hyundai is really on the table for this particular thread, but if it is just check that Make/Model/Year specifically. It's not universal that it must be after 2022 to not have an issue.

Also, I know for sure all RSX/TSX models we're discussing have immobilizers because it's one of the PITA things you have to deal with if you want to swap the engine into another car!

It's 2011-2021 Kias and 2015-2021 Hyundais without push button start.

Sorry Kia's!

Although my friend has a Kia Soul in that age range that got broken into recently, they messed up the ignition column but couldn't actually figure out how to steal it. So I guess the tiktok tutorials aren't bulletproof!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think my wife finally told him "you are NOT getting a Miata" this weekend because now he can't stop talking about the Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. She thinks Miatas aren't safe. I have remained interested in what he likes but I occasionally remind him he needs to start earning and saving money or this is all just talk. And he did apply for one job last summer at a sandwich shop who said they were hiring 14-year-olds, but he didn't get the job. I think he'll have better luck once he turns 15 this Spring.

He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop.

Ever.

Until you are dead give in or successfully postpone the discussion/decision.
    As cars nuts, Weren't we all like that?

That being said, good luck with 2.5RS search. They have firmly moved into the collector car market and even regular GC8 chassis Imprezas are extremely hard to find. Most of them were eaten by the tin worm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Weren't we all like that?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by George in 1983 in my father's diesel Oldsmobile
    "Hey Dad, check out that '66 Beetle! You can tell it's a '66 because that was the only year they had a 1300 badge on the engine lid!"
    It's so funny to see kids doing the exact same things we did. I see it at their high school and athletic events and just whenever ours are with other kids. Kids are kids, whether they have a slingshot or a smart-phone in their back pockets.

There's your answer!
    Get him a Karmann Ghia - Sports car & Beetle all in one!
    It'd be a cool car for a teen, but only marginally fast enough to get into trouble. And probably a fun weekend project for the 2 of you - He'd certainly learn about maintaining things, and you'll look very cool showing him how to change the alternator belt with a screwdriver while it's running.
    -Formerly Stabulator

That sparked my interest..., but after a quick google...

Average Karmann Ghia selling price is actually: $23,463!!!

Found one for $9,000, but it's not in running condition.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3...-3a43bca74fbe/
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 25th, 2023 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    That sparked my interest..., but after a quick google...

Average Karmann Ghia selling price is actually: $23,463!!!
    Yeah, any vehicle that was built 15+ years ago that has any kind of style or performance costs a decent amount. Gone are the days of a decent runner being 5k.....decent runners are now 20k.

Karmann Ghias were rare, expensive, and almost exotic compared to Beetles in the early/mid '80s. I'm sure the affordability gap has widened exponentially since then.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    ...you'll look very cool showing him how to change the alternator belt with a screwdriver while it's running.
    That's an achievement I haven't unlocked yet, but I have driven a Beetle home with a broken throttle cable and, on a different occasion, with a broken clutch cable.

What?!?!?

So you were able to 'MacGyver' up some sort of 'digital' drive by wire system by pulling on them with your fingers or something?

Please do tell how you did it!