Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporty Used car under $5-7k for my son

Saab?

Or second Neanderthal - w123 - more style, but more slower.
    Last edited by JoshInKC; November 6th, 2020 at 04:56 PM.
    -Formerly Stabulator

I love my subes, but now that I'm older, I am glad that I didn't get a turbo model until my mid-20s. Civic, Mazda3,or MX-5 (can get a hardtop) would be my pick. Or maybe an IS200...

In my experience, a Miata is going to have higher insurance rates than a boring model Civic or Mazda3, but lower than an RSX, WRX, GTI, etc. The latter sport compacts get stolen from and wrecked more often.

So, Civic or Mazda3 then. I mean, can't really go wrong.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Scion tC is a good choice, hatchback, decent power, manual transmission and torquey since they're a larger 4cyl (2.4L)

I owned a first gen for many years, it was a great car

A lot of good suggestions here, would like to add the GD (2007-2008) Honda Fit:

It scored the lane-change number of 71.4 mph for Car and Driver magazine. It's probably the most responsive car I've driven that was stock (without any of the danger of a AW11 MR2 or FB RX-7) and feels faster than it actually is.
    It fits four adults comfortably and meets your fuel mileage, practicality, reliability and not break the bank parameters (probably even more so than any other car mentioned). If he's a little quirky then it does have some cool factor, otherwise it just looks like a small minivan and it'll be a big, fat NO.

Yeah some good options...with the exception of the ancient Mercedes

I probably will rule out any manufacturers that have little to no presence in the US like Saab or Mitsubishi. Convertibles are probably out as well due to the ease of illegal entry and/or costly vandalism. Keying a car is one thing but ripping a hole in the top would be quite costly and a pita.

Probably ruling out the WRX as they seem to be quite expensive for even older ones. Also many of the cars on the list seem to be hard to find unmolested.

I definitely enjoy the process of narrowing it down

Just don't buy a mid-2000s C55.

IS250

IS250 looks good. Impreza/WRX still in the running as well. Probably can’t go wrong with any Toyota, Subaru or Honda creations.