Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporty Used car under $5-7k for my son

Sporty Used car under $5-7k for my son

So we are faced with the fact we want to get our son something reasonable for his 16th come April-May.

Looking for recommendations for something he won't be embarrassed to drive to school, dates etc. Also good on gas, insurance, reliability etc etc.

Here are some of the cars I can think of off the top of head, any further recommendations are much appreciated. Budget is as cheap as possible...preferably below $5k.

WRX, RSX, TSX, Integra, GTI, Golf, Jetta, Civic, Prelude, Mazda 3/6, A4, A3, TT, Impreza...

I would say Miata, Beetle stuff but they just scream girl's cars. And tiny convertibles are probably shit on insurance. But if any of you have experience on this subject...could use any help

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Anything wrong with a Yaris or a Corolla/Matrix?, they seem to be in the price range...

Do kids these days pay attention to car audio and stuff?, maybe a Crutchfield gift card could sweeten the deal

Edit: Did you forget to mention Scions? I think the TC is perfectly adequate for what you describe.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; November 6th, 2020 at 12:27 PM.
    acket.

During a quick peek at the Tampa CL, this one caught my eye, as a satisfied former owner/co-owner of three Accords, two of which had over 200K miles.

HONDA ACCORD E X 2D COUPE - $4,500

Con: Automatic and paint is faded (top of rear bumper, etc.)

Pro: "Perfect carfax" and only 110K miles

I'll be watching this thread. I have three and a half years yet, but it's fun (and terrifying) to think about.

Miatas are awesome and fun, the whole "girl's car" thing is stupid.

It should probably have some storage capability for his Lacrosse bag etc. Convertibles are just another problem to worry about as well. Who knows who will slash it open and steal something.

I'd be shocked if a Gen 6 Honda Accord didn't have a faded rear bumper.

My only 2 cents is to buy Japanese, old EU stuff is buying a hand grenade with the pin already pulled.

E90/92 BMW 335i?

Might take some doing to find that price, but he can have some fun and still impress the ladies

How sporty, and what sort of restrictions besides price?

Well just imagine you’re a parent buying their kid their first car. You don’t want the insurance to kill you any more than it already is. You don’t want him to have so much power that he wants to drag race all the time. You want fuel mileage, practicality, some cool factor, reliability and not break the bank. You also want him to be proud of his ride.

Those are the parameters

W124 Mercedes.

Safe as a house. Not anything anyone will want to race. But a solid do anything car.