Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporty Used car under $5-7k for my son

Yes, I said IS200 but realise you probably didn't get that. 250, 300, all good and probably slightly less likely to get him in trouble than a WRX.

Yeah. Maybe a non WRX Impreza RS 2.5? Or the next body style Impreza as well.

I'd look at the Lexus based on something that would feel and look really nice, and would be pretty much carefree. Subarus work, but are just kinda.... There.

I would be surprised if any WRX would be reasonable from an insurance standpoint. They get stolen or broken into a shit ton and they have horrible reputations for being boy racer cars.

A base model Impreza wouldn’t be bad but I agree that they aren’t anything special, especially since you live in Florida.

That Accord coupe that George posted is pretty cool and would be the kind of car I would look for.

And BTW, I think a Prius is pretty cool.

I’d just get him something new if reliability is one of your concerns...

And how about this, instead of asking us, why not let your son do some research or perhaps he already has a dream car in mind?

Tell him you’d offer to pay $5000 down and he’ll have to figure out the monthly payments himself... or he could just get a $5000 used car that he likes and leave it at that.

Of course you have the final say... if it looks like he’s going to make a $5000 mistake, you don’t have to go along with that..., but kids are smart. A lot of them already know what they want.

If your son doesn’t even want a car, you save $5000!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 8th, 2020 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Well just imagine you’re a parent buying their kid their first car. You don’t want the insurance to kill you any more than it already is. You don’t want him to have so much power that he wants to drag race all the time. You want fuel mileage, practicality, some cool factor, reliability and not break the bank. You also want him to be proud of his ride.

Those are the parameters
    I'm NOT a parent so I can say this as I have no relevant experience. I've been told this numerous times. But I know myself, and should i sire a pup or two I will not feel compelled to spoil them.

Parent; Here is this jalopy that you can drive to get you to the places you want to go. I know you wanted the Allmoto Meteorite 3000 with the 500hp vee eleventeen. That's great. You can buy yourself one when you pay for it and pay for it's insurance, fuel, and tires. If you don't like the jalopy here's a bus pass for the month. And don't ask me to take you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Yeah some good options...with the exception of the ancient Mercedes

I probably will rule out any manufacturers that have little to no presence in the US like Saab or Mitsubishi. Convertibles are probably out as well due to the ease of illegal entry and/or costly vandalism. Keying a car is one thing but ripping a hole in the top would be quite costly and a pita.

Probably ruling out the WRX as they seem to be quite expensive for even older ones. Also many of the cars on the list seem to be hard to find unmolested.

I definitely enjoy the process of narrowing it down
    For a first car, I generally recommend cars that no driver in their right mind would want to race (I normally recommend the W123 diesels in fact) and that will be safe in a collision. I don't recommend for style, speed, cool factor. Not for a first car.

Well I will say that red blooded teenage males will race and explore the limits of anything with a motor and wheels

I had some shitty vehicles and I beat the shit out of all of them.

I plan to spend as little as possible on reliable, decent looking transportation so he can get to a job, school, dates, fun and life in general. Get him started and the rest is up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Miatas are awesome and fun, the whole "girl's car" thing is stupid.
    Yeah.

Here's an option. https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/...222760238.html

And, oh, lookie here. https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/...226501680.html
    Last edited by Cam; November 9th, 2020 at 04:15 AM.

That saab seems like a great buy for $800 - Then you could spend the remaining $4200 on fixing it up.
    -Formerly Stabulator