Page 42 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Administrator
    I just watched the Netflix show's episode where he did the practice start from on the track instead of in the designated area at Sochi and it seemed like the same exact tactic. He knew he wasn't supposed to do it, but did the whole "well, show me where in the rulebook it says I can get a penalty for it" thing.

Junior Potato
    That's what I was saying about ruthlessness and intelligence. Hamilton knows exactly what he is doing. Toto Wolff knows exactly what he is doing.

Wolff's comment about driving with a copy of the rulebook in the cockpit is 100% true, except it's the lawyers in the pit garage who read it, not the driver.

The rules are clear - clearer to them than they are to us.

If I were max, something like this legality BS is telling me to give position back? I’d tell them fuck off, I’d just finish the race and you can penalize me with 5s later...

RB the team really also need to have more lawyers to back their driver up rather than just fold and tell driver to give back position...

Obviously Mercedes and Hamilton have much better team work.

Junior Potato
    Ignoring the stewards decision. What does the rulebook say about that? I'll bet the larger of my two testicles that it would lead to more than a +5 sec penalty.

Potentially disqualification, or loss of points, or back-of-grid penalty.

Can we try to find out? Passing from the outside that resulted leaving the track momentarily after the pass, which also posed no danger to self or others deserves such harsh punishment? You don’t think you’re a bit biased?

Just saying even if it does carry such severe punishment, I’d still risk it.

Passing in F1 is physically hard enough already, we really don’t need further legal crap to discourage passing as well. What Max has done was good for the show.

Toto said it, going wide on the outside doesn’t really gain much advantage. Surely Hamilton would also agree, until it’s the other guy doing it.

This is clearly not that clear cut and kinda controversial.

So yeah, I’d encourage Max to just continue to do it and then risk penalties later. Like Senna said, he sees a gap, he’ll go for it. That’s what Max did and that’s why I like him. Of course the risk may be penalties or crash and death, but that’s racing. Who enjoys racing by the legal book? Hamilton doesn’t do that and that’s why he’s a multi champ.

Unless RB is so confident with their car, then sure, maybe they’ll be able to drive it by the rules and still win.

They just have to realize Mercedes and Hamilton are constantly pushing to and beyond the boundaries of the rules. If they don’t do likewise, it’ll be hard to beat them.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 2nd, 2021 at 07:32 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    That's what I was saying about ruthlessness and intelligence. Hamilton knows exactly what he is doing. Toto Wolff knows exactly what he is doing.

Wolff's comment about driving with a copy of the rulebook in the cockpit is 100% true, except it's the lawyers in the pit garage who read it, not the driver.

The rules are clear - clearer to them than they are to us.
    Definitely agree with you. It's the whinging afterwards that bugs me. It's like a child who keeps pushing the envelope, knowing full well that they're doing so right up until the point where they get admonished, and then crying when it happens. I've got no problem with the pushing of the envelope, it's that "what, us? We didn't do anything!!" crying afterwards that I hate so much. It's a lot like the people who insist on arguing with the ref in other sports - you're not going to win. Take the warning and stop doing what they told you to stop doing, and quit wasting everyone else's time.

Junior Potato
    Eh, believable disbelief can be part of the game too.

For example, I don't know if you're familiar with the incident, but at the Bathurst 1000 a few years ago there was a FCY, which means pitstops for everyone and the risk of double-stacking. The DJR Penske team asked their 2nd driver in the 18 car who was in 3rd place at the time to take an extra long period of time to go down Conrod Straight so that their lead driver could get in and out of the pits without the 18 car having to wait and lose positions. The act caused the entire field to back up behind because they weren't allowed to pass and gave an advantage to their sister car in first place.

They did break a rule there, however on team radio they were talking about overheating in the car so it wasn't provable. A few laps later the crew chief for the 18 car was interviewed in the pits and when asked about what had happened he couldn't contain a wry smile and basically let out the confirmation that they were purposefully backing up the field to avoid double-stacking in the pit stop. Race control used this as evidence and penalised the team of the 18 car for breaking the rules, giving them a drive through penalty, forcing them back to 6th place.

If it wasn't for that interview, they might've gotten away with it. If Hamilton replied on the radio with something like, "OK they're finally telling us to stop," then it would have been treated very differently by race control.

Administrator
    I think there's a middle ground there. "Oh, I thought that was allowed, I'll stop then."

Another easy way out is, whatever Hamilton does, others are allowed to do as well.

Since there’s asphalt there and it’s not unsafe to drive there. Let’s just racers race on there, okay?

Why artificially draw a line there and tell them not to cross it?

Seriously, if you didn’t cut corners and reducing actual racing distance and you didn’t pull anything dangerous and unsafe, why would a penalty be necessary?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 2nd, 2021 at 09:35 PM.

Administrator
    No joking around, I've seen at least three different people explain this to you at least four different times. I ain't adding to it.