Page 13 of 179 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Hamilton would be signed awhile ago if Russell hadn’t driven the car

That’s when Mercedes realized they could win it all with or without Hamilton.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Now that I think about it, the problem was that neither Pierre nor Alex were as good as Max in the things that he is good at, and also they weren't better than him in the stuff that he is not good at.

From what has come out in the last few days on the Perez signing, it came down to Horner probing Domenicali about making the engine freeze a feasible proposition that Ferrari would agree to; and if it came down to taking over Honda engines, then Red Bull needed a driver that had a ton of experience with the Mercedes engine. Kind of like how Brendon Hartley is a good asset for any team in categories with hybrid drivetrains, but Perez is also a good racer.

With that said, I also expect both Grosjean and Magnussen to do well next year. Rogro is fast and Kmag is a very complete driver, the series where they're headed to are a good fit to their abilities.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Hamilton would be signed awhile ago if Russell hadn’t driven the car

That’s when Mercedes realized they could win it all with or without Hamilton.
    There’s also the possibility that the real GOAT is actually George Russell!

Just realized that perhaps the main reason Mercedes didn’t want a multi year contract with Hamilton was because Lewis doesn’t want George as teammate!

If Hamilton is afraid of up and coming talents catching up to him, maybe he should just retire.

I would not like to see George stuck in that Williams for 2 or 3 more years.

Either you race or stay home Lewis!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 30th, 2021 at 04:08 PM.

Latest Hamilton rumour is that they have agreed on a deal. Apparently Hamilton insisted on a "Verstappen Clause" where Hamilton can veto the team should there be an open slot and Verstappen becomes available. So in effect Hamilton is afraid that if Verstappen becomes available then Mercedes will jump on signing him. Insisting on this clause means he really is quite afraid of having Max on the same team. For one huge obvious reason...and several other reasons

Of course...this is rumour.

Yeah, not really sure what’s rumor and what’s true. You can’t expect a huge pay and then prohibit the team to hire young talents, whether it be Max or George...

Of course these rumors could’ve been spread by Mercedes to help get them a better deal? Obviously Mercedes still wants Hamilton, otherwise they would’ve signed George already. I think it should be clear to everyone that Mercedes doesn’t absolutely need Hamilton based on George’s performance...

Anyway, makes me wonder if Senna had lived to near retirement age, would he renew his contracts with such veto power?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 5th, 2021 at 06:22 PM.

Senna did at Lotus. I'm sure I posted this a while ago, but he refused to allow Lotus to sign Derek Warwick as he saw him as a threat in the same car.
    Unfortunately for Derek, he missed out on a drive that year due to that.

Really? I wasn’t aware of that...

He wasn’t afraid of famous fast racers like Prost, but afraid of Warwick? I wonder if there were other personal reasons?

Warwick’s F1 career did not indicate greatness..., but I suppose George Russell’s also won’t be so great if he’s forever stuck in Williams...