Page 48 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Omg you are hilarious...
    You didn't say I was wrong though...

Because it’s obvious you must be joking.

So he pulls a dumbass move and ends up against a wall. He’s thinking it’s all over. By the time he gets the thing back on track he’s a lap down. No way out of that hole. But the stars align once again for the touched Hamilton and he gets a red flag race stoppage. Basically a free pit stop to fix the car as well. Before race restart they give him the lap back behind the safety car so he finds himself only a five seconds behind the race leader in 8th place when the race starts back. Well who the fuck wouldn’t be juiced up and happy as fuck about the good fortune that fell into their lap. So we’ve got a guy in arguably the fastest car (especially down the straight), with 30 laps left to pass a few guys who are in inferior cars. Big fucking deal.

Now his attitude wouldn’t have been so chipper and racy without getting that red flag and getting his lap back.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I tuned out at the red flag crocodile launch (it should have been a standing start, imho).
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    My take on Russell-Bottas:

This could have been nasty, a Halo once again helped save someone from injury (Bottas), a whack from the tire, at those speeds is not something desirable.
    I'm almost fifty-fifty on this one, and I think that Bottas is genuinely a good and clean racer, except that given track conditions and the speed at which it happened, his slight weave was a little too much.

Toto Wolff has said that Russell shouldn't race a Mercedes that hard. I suppose he is implying that front running teams should be given some respect by backmarkers.

To Wolff I say: fuckwidat. A Mercedes shouldn't be driven that slow, if one of his cars is at the tail end of the points, it then risks being raced for position, you fool!

Track was clearly too variable, as demonstrated by Hamilton's off and Verstappen's and Perez' spins. It was only natural that if a Williams stepped on the watery stuff, it'd lose control; and it'd only be in that position because its driver had gone for the fabled gap. So, good on Russell for trying to grab the position from a weak-kneed driver.

Verdict: 55 Bottas, 45 Russell.
    acket.

I’m kinda the other way. But it’s all happening in a split second. The Bottas weave was barely perceptible. And what does Russell think he’s doing out in the damp part of the track with no downforce (DRS deployed) and fresh slicks? Can’t say I wouldn’t have gone for the chance to pass a Merc either but I would have been a little skeered out there at the edge of the track at 200mph.

How about that other pass early on? Was it Norris? I forget. But I remember saying it was super ballsy and risky but it stuck.

Edit...it was Norris passing Sainz and Gasly on the straight. It’s like Norris expected/hoped Gasly would move and he did. But if he didn’t there was definitely a crash.
    Last edited by JoeW; April 18th, 2021 at 08:21 PM.

I just thought that was pretty much a 50/50 racing incident.

Bottas could’ve left more room, but should a Mercedes really just yield to a Williams?

I suppose Totos right, should’ve just yielded and then pass him back later?

As for George, you knew the risks, you commit yourself in such dangerous situation racing against a car that’s out of your league...

Yeah, maybe you deserve his seat more, but you should know better that guys is not going to give up his seat and position so easily, especially to you!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Because it’s obvious you must be joking.

So he pulls a dumbass move and ends up against a wall. He’s thinking it’s all over. By the time he gets the thing back on track he’s a lap down. No way out of that hole. But the stars align once again for the touched Hamilton and he gets a red flag race stoppage. Basically a free pit stop to fix the car as well. Before race restart they give him the lap back behind the safety car so he finds himself only a five seconds behind the race leader in 8th place when the race starts back. Well who the fuck wouldn’t be juiced up and happy as fuck about the good fortune that fell into their lap. So we’ve got a guy in arguably the fastest car (especially down the straight), with 30 laps left to pass a few guys who are in inferior cars. Big fucking deal.

Now his attitude wouldn’t have been so chipper and racy without getting that red flag and getting his lap back.
    Alright, now name another driver who can do the above.

Racing is a big part luck, and a big part making the right choices. Not just on track but in career. I've been trying to say exactly this for almost a year now.

You've got a big hard-on for hating Hamilton and it colours your view. Your admiration for Verstappen is not in question, however being the guy who leads the challenge to Hamilton's title, I don't see him producing world champion drives almost every weekend like Hamilton does.

Administrator
    To me, Bottas purposely tried to squeeze Russell. He probably left him enough room if he was driving a more stable car and was a more experienced driver. Russell ended up either having to snap off the throttle potentially losing control or keep his foot in it and try to avoid Bottas, and we saw how that turned out.

Russell had the run on him, Bottas tried to make it difficult, and it bit him both of them. I have a really hard time blaming Russell for trying to avoid a collision with Bottas, who went wider there trying to defend than pretty much any other driver for the rest of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Alright, now name another driver who can do the above.

Racing is a big part luck, and a big part making the right choices. Not just on track but in career. I've been trying to say exactly this for almost a year now.

You've got a big hard-on for hating Hamilton and it colours your view. Your admiration for Verstappen is not in question, however being the guy who leads the challenge to Hamilton's title, I don't see him producing world champion drives almost every weekend like Hamilton does.
    I don’t think we max fan boyz hate Hamilton as much as you guys hate Max...

The main point really is that Hamilton should not have made such a mistake as that Russian rookie. As for the recoveries, latest example would be Perez! Last to 5th in Bahrain. Yeah, it’s not 2nd, but Perez would be happy with 2nd on a normal day! ( Perez also won a race from last to 1st last year too , remember?) so far I guess Perez is also marked to be a champ?

Well gee whiz...you gotta have a championship car to even start a championship drive. And we all know Bottas is shit so I guess that leaves just Hamilton until another manufacturer steps up with good machinery. Although I think you are being pretty ridiculous thinking Max couldn’t do the same. He’s pulled off some pretty great “through the pack recovery drives” in non championship machinery.