Page 96 of 120 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Wow, Bottas in a Williams was pretty fast back in 2014! How time has changed Williams over the span of just few years…

Of course I hope there won’t be anymore serious accidents in the future with any drivers… it’ll be interesting to see if Max could maintain his momentum like Rosberg did. Of course I hope Max won’t retire after beating Lewis !

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The Red Bull PR machine really is the worst thing about contemporary Formula One.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    it’ll be interesting to see if Max could maintain his momentum like Rosberg did. Of course I hope Max won’t retire after beating Lewis !
    mmm... Rosberg won the championship a good two years after the events depicted on that graph.
    acket.

Totally forgot when Rosberg won his… anyway, I guess I better hope Max not maintain the same momentum to have to wait 2 more years!

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    The Red Bull PR machine really is the worst thing about contemporary Formula One.
    Yeah.

I think fundamentally they've lost sight of the bigger picture.

I do understand they're pissed off. It's annoying when your opponent is 'predominantly responsible' for a crash that puts you out, and then in your absence goes on to win the race and scoop the maximum points.

But in dwelling on their own anger, they've lost sight of everyone else's feelings.

Obviously Lewis and Merc are happy to win.

And the tens of millions of Lewis fans, too.

And Lewis won in front of his home crowd.

And even more than that, this was the first F1 race since December 2019 with a full house. Nearly 150,000 people were there, watching the hugely exciting battle between the two, seeing the crash, seeing Lewis come from behind to win. That's a huge occasion for the sport.

And this dramatic moment has lit up the worldwide fanbase. Audience, pageviews, social media engagement - all through the roof.

And the championship swing makes the rest of the year look like a closer and more exciting fight than seemed likely after the recent run of Red Bull victories.

So in the 'happy' camp you've got
    - the world's most famous driver and all his fanbase
    - neutral fans looking forward to a closer championship
    - a hundred thousand plus live spectators
    - everyone involved in running F1 - Liberty and the sport's bosses, and all the race promoters especially Silverstone
    - all the journalists covering F1

and in the 'unhappy' camp, you've got Max, Christian and Helmut. Plus a load of Max fans.

It's a little bit like a more dramatic, high-stakes version of Monza 2019. Charles Leclerc pushed Hamilton off the track, preventing a legitimate passing attempt. He was officially considered at fault, and shown the black and white flag. However, thanks to this "unfair" move, he won the race. For Hamilton and Hamilton fans, that was a bit annoying.

But...

Charles was (and is) an incredibly likeable, talented, exciting young driver. His victory was his second ever win, whereas Lewis already had 81. And of course, Charles won for Ferrari their home race at Monza, in front of the joyful tifosi.

So under the circumstances, sometimes you just have to accept that what feels unfair to you, is a positive thing for a huge number of other people, and not make too much of a fuss about it.

Otherwise you do run the risk of being seen as a bunch of self-obsessed whingeing spoilsports.

Excellent points. Didn't think of it like that...

I do respect Hamilton, but I think I'm in camp Max. However, I still think that was a racing incident. Such things happen during races. Considering how fast these cars move, Horner and the like really need to learn to move on and focus more on the future.

Anyway, at least Max has not lost my respect so far.

"The booing fuels me"

Nice to hear, dude, nice to hear.
    acket.

Booing fuels any competitor.

Looks like this race is Mercs latest 1/2 finish. RBR starting on Softs is less than ideal so I think we’ve got Hamilton coming out of this back in the WDC lead.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Looks like this race is Mercs latest 1/2 finish. RBR starting on Softs is less than ideal so I think we’ve got Hamilton coming out of this back in the WDC lead.
    I agree that it does look as if Merc have the edge at this stage, getting to start on the Mediums.

However, Pirelli have stated that the race is "finely balanced between a one-stop and a two-stop strategy, with both approaches valid for the race, but a two-stopper being on paper quickest." https://press.pirelli.com/2021-hunga...ix---saturday/

That would seem to open up a viable strategy starting on the Softs.

So I'm not counting any chickens, I think it could well be an interesting race and could also see Max splitting the Mercs, for instance. But I agree if I had to bet on a winner, my money would be on Hamilton notching up a century tomorrow.