Page 49 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

Junior Potato
    That's what I've been saying all along!

*gesticulates with hands*

And how do you get championship machinery?

Lucking into your first championship by passing some no name guy for 5th place. Then being a mid pack guy for five years until F1 changes the engine specs and your team happens to have the magic formula for that spec and all of a sudden you are driving the fastest car on the grid? He even managed to get beat by his teammate one of those years. Is that how most drivers do it?

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Lucking into your first championship by passing some no name guy for 5th place. Then being a mid pack guy for five years until F1 changes the engine specs and your team happens to have the magic formula for that spec and all of a sudden you are driving the fastest car on the grid? He even managed to get beat by his teammate one of those years. Is that how most drivers do it?
    You're 100% correct. All of it. A large part of Hamilton's success is luck.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    [Max]’s pulled off some pretty great “through the pack recovery drives” in non championship machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by The Racing Gods
    Machines win races, men win championships.
    acket.

Hamilton was indeed lucky to be able to get a Mclaren seat at such a young age and at a right time when the team was still good. However, it certainly wasn’t just luck that he tied with Alonso on his rookie year.

Anyway, Hamilton was seemingly given all the amazing opportunities, but he is also definitely amazingly skilled to seize those opportunities. Pretty sure very few would be able to repeat what Hamilton has done given those same opportunities.

Rosberg had been with Mercedes for a long time and won only 1 championship and was burnt out.

IMHO, JV was the luckiest sob. He waltz into Indy and won the championship and the Indy500 and then waltz right into a Williams ride and won F1 championship. He’s clearly good enough to pull those stunts off when given the opportunities, but clearly he is not as great as Hamilton.

To be as good and as lucky as Hamilton, that’s just not easy. I think Rosberg only barely won his championship on one of Lewis’ off year... so it's true that machinary doesn't win championships... Weber couldn't do it in a fast RB and Rosberg only managed to do it once. I'd definitely rate Hamilton as one of the greats. Can't say if Max is really greater, but he certainly looks like he has the potential to become one... because his trajectory is comparable to a young Hamilton. The home team that hired them as a rookie is totally and completely excited about them...

This year turned out to possibly be the year the 2 could butt heads on even ground...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 19th, 2021 at 09:09 AM.

Yep, fair verdict IMHO too.

I totally forgot about DRS reduces rear down force, which explains why the rear snapped out like that... I wonder if he could've avoided the spin if he let go of the DRS prior to dipping into the grass...

George was overly ambitious and Bottas should've given more room on such a narrow track...

However, can't blame George for going for that gap and I also can't blame Bottas for not yielding his line and give up his position... for a Williams. This is racing after all...

George has put out a statement walking back his criticism of Bottas, and apologising.

I think he's belatedly realised that (a) it looks a lot like a 50/50 incident from the outside, and (b) his goal this year is to convince one person, namely Mr Wolff, and having a hissy fit at Bottas does the opposite.

I don't believe this'll affect anything negatively, but it'll be interesting to see how Russell handles racing in the pack over the next 21 races in an improved Williams, with a lot of pressure not to mess up. I still back him to get the Merc seat next year, and to capitalise on that opportunity.

Had George pulled it off, it would've done some serious psychological damage to Bottas and for sure his career in Mercedes would be over... and George would come out as the next Max!

I wonder if Bottas truly saw George coming in his mirrors. Was Bottas just focusing on driving and then got hit by George or was he seriously just holding his line and gradually squeezing him off track? Either way, Bottas has shown that he won't give up his seat/position that easily to George.

George should also be racing RBs or Ferraris like that rather than a Mercedes if he wants to stay on Toto's good side! I'm sure this isolated incident won't hurt his chances with Mercedes. Like Senna said, if a racing driver doesn't go for that gap, he's no longer a racing driver. George is obviously proving himself to be a 'young' racing driver...

I think there were several instances where people tried to go around the outside heading down the straight and into that turn and it didn’t work out for them. Still thinking it wasn’t the wisest decision to give it a go in those conditions.