Page 53 of 179 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

I do that all the time. Standing in front of the mirror pretending to be Robert DeNiro... "Are you talkin to me, Billi?"

"Yeah!"

Anyway, back to F-1...

It appears Honda management is more willing to go out with a bang? If it weren't for their decision to leave next year, they would not have authorized funding to update the engine so quickly...

What are they thinking? Why do they enter F-1 in the 1st place? Not willing to push hard when in this relationship, but when you call it quits, then you're willing to push hard?

Hope Honda could win this year? Beating out their former ghost team? If tradition holds, RB will probably win championship next year after Honda's gone.

It'd be funny if Honda end up building 2 championship winning teams in F-1 and have nothing to show for in the end.

Stupid bean counting management.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 27th, 2021 at 10:20 AM.

Check these out. Alesi taking the 312 Ferrari around Monaco. Both are different views of the same lap. One is a 360 cam mounted above/behind the rear wing and the other is mounted above/behind the drivers head.

Last edited by JoeW; April 27th, 2021 at 01:51 PM.

You forget how sparse the cockpit used to be and how busy they are in there, it'd be great to watch a full on attacking lap. Nowadays, it looks so easy to drive, but yet so complex with all the dials and buttons they have to play with.

I got into F1 during the late 80s, for whatever reasons I’m just not that impressed with cars older than 80’s era.

It’s like watching the original Star Trek now... just looks so dated! Plus, aren’t they dangerous? Those care probably belong in museums or just be paraded around rather than pushed hard... especially in Monaco?

Anyway, maybe I’m just getting too old..., playing things too safe now...

Ummm...wtf is wrong with you?

Just look at them tiny wheels!

No way to fit 18” rims on those cars!

I like the sound it makes, that’s about it.

F1 will not race in Canada in 2021: 14 days mandatory quarantine for foreign visitors is not feasible for F1.
    So the 13th of June F1 will race in Turkey, instead.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/c...sh-gp/6494667/

"Obviously" F1 cars from the 70s are my favourite ever - in contrast to Billi's opinion (LOL).
    And those tiny wheels are wonderful.
    Those were cars, not the longboats we have nowadays (but really, since the end of the nineties).
    Last edited by Blerpa; April 28th, 2021 at 09:43 AM.

That was the last era of classical driving. No electronics to speak of, clutch pedal, gear shifter, very little downforce, no power steering/brakes, a shit ton of power and no grip. That was serious driving.

Yes, they are definitely classics I’ll give you that.

But I got into F1 because of its tech, not for nostalgic reasons.

At least F1 cars in the 80s are still ‘classical’ enough and probably could still come reasonably close to modern day F1 cars when it comes to performance...

I guess it was a quantum leap made during the 80s due to introduction of composite material? All the improvements made since were all incremental...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 28th, 2021 at 11:58 AM.

I have to say, it was playing Grand Prix Legends that got me into the older F1 cars, before that I was probably more in Billi's camp.

Now I'm fully on board with the idea that 1967 was 'peak F1', with three-litre engines of a variety of configurations, and lightweight pre-aero cars on crossply tyres, slid around true road courses by heroic drivers. But it was the way the game immersed me into that world, and confronted me with the intense throttle-sensitivity of the cars, that converted me.

Improvements have been from all areas, not solely composites. I think aerodynamic downforce was the biggest single factor in changing the nature of F1, leading to significantly increased cornering speeds as well as changing the interaction between following cars. After that maybe tyres, then the escalation in engine power from 400hp at the start of the three litre formula to 1000hp today.