Page 77 of 179 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

That’s what I saw in all those lines as well. Might as well have a brake button instead of a pedal.

Brake modulation might have been replaced by hybrid regen.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Unless you lock up, why modulate? Unlike throttle, you might want to accelerate partially in a turn, but rarely do racers enter into a turn with partial brakes, right?

At least for me, I want to brake as late as possible and then hammer down to the max while going straight going into a turn… and I’d only modulate the throttle at the apex and while exiting the turn…

Anyway, what I found interesting with those charts is that although the 2 drivers have different styles, their speeds remain almost identical!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Unless you lock up, why modulate? Unlike throttle, you might want to accelerate partially in a turn, but rarely do racers enter into a turn with partial brakes, right?

At least for me, I want to brake as late as possible and then hammer down to the max while going straight going into a turn… and I’d only modulate the throttle at the apex and while exiting the turn…

Anyway, what I found interesting with those charts is that although the 2 drivers have different styles, their speeds remain almost identical!
    Partially braking into a turn has been the secret of Hamilton's success. He's the goat of trail braking.

Vettel loses time on entry and makes it up with mad dorifto skills mid corner to stamp on the throttle earlier. That's why he loooved the blown diffuser cars.

Urban myth was that Hamilton modulated brakes and throttle on corner entry and carried more speed mid corner, which in turn wouldn't hurt him if he wasn't the fastest to get back on power at the exit.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    We're talking super-athlete levels of muscle control here.
    acket.

I don't think brake pressure traces are always made available to the public. Even before BBW, brake telemetry on TV was an on/off thing. Just a guess?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    We're talking super-athlete levels of muscle control here.
    Trail braking is an incredibly satisfying and useful technique for going WAY faster through a corner.

Xhawkeye, can you find data on Hamilton and Max?

Could it be that Ferraris are slow because they don't know how to trail brake?

Anyway, based on RWA's video, my suspicions is that trail braking works better when you have softer suspensions, for a more gradual shifting of weight from front to back. F-1 cars probably are as stiff as a car is ever going to be so perhaps the 'gradual' shifting of the weight from front to back isn't as critical? (As long as you dial in the appropriate amount of brake bias...)

Anywho, I only 'trail brake' driving normally sometimes because I know I'm not turning at my max..., but when I'm on the track, my brain, nor my foot will be able to know that info... I'm assuming that I'm at near maximum braking or pulling near maximum lateral G's in a turn... I don't dare mixing the 2. I'd be very very impressed if Lewis or any f-1 driver could managed to pull trail braking off like that.

Makes me wonder if this were the reason behind the difference between Lando and Ricciardo?

Junior Potato
    I think you're better off talking about politics.

Oops, I think I made a typo in my post, anyway, I meant on the track, I probably won’t be able to brake and turn or trail brake nor rev match nor any of those tricks…

Anyway, unless ferrari purposely gave us bogus data, it’s clear neither one of their drivers trail brake for some reason.