Page 99 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2021

I wasn’t even aware that there is such a rule that you need to have 1L of fuel left at the end of the race!

I understand the intention of such rule so that we can catch cheaters using illegal blend, but imagine if you were running on fumes while leading the race…. I guess you have to come in to get enough fuel for inspection or else you’ll be DQ’d?

Also, where exactly is the cutoff? What if there’s only .9L available?

That’s still an unfair advantage right?

Anyway, do you guys know the rationale for 1L? That is a significant volume. Do labs really need that much to inspect legality of fuel?

I believe Vettel had the same issue at Singapore once, didn't he?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

It's happened a couple of times in quali before
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/18047760 May 2012, Hamilton loses Spanish pole
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ab...63026/4463026/ Nov 2012, Vettel loses 3rd on the grid

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I wasn’t even aware that there is such a rule that you need to have 1L of fuel left at the end of the race!

I understand the intention of such rule so that we can catch cheaters using illegal blend, but imagine if you were running on fumes while leading the race…. I guess you have to come in to get enough fuel for inspection or else you’ll be DQ’d?

Also, where exactly is the cutoff? What if there’s only .9L available?

That’s still an unfair advantage right?

Anyway, do you guys know the rationale for 1L? That is a significant volume. Do labs really need that much to inspect legality of fuel?
    If you came in to get more fuel for inspection you'd be DQ'd for that too, since in-race refuelling was banned in 2010. The onus is on the teams to put enough fuel in, and the team and driver to manage fuel consumption during the race.

AFAIK the cut-off is 1L. It's arbitrary, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and one litre is a convenient place to draw it. (Although apparently it's 0.8L in F2)

Junior Potato
    Wow exciting race. I watched the highlights, wish I’d watched the whole thing now.

This was a *clears throat* Champion’s Drive from Hamilton

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    According to Craig Scarborough's explanation, the FIA gathers the sample from a specific routing of the fuel delivery system, i'm thinking the pump, but some teams use some rather small components there. Because of the packaging constrains, the fuel cell might have some hard to reach creavesses which could hold a little bit more fuel. so maybe AM's appeal could be that "there's enough fuel IN the car... you just have.... to –grunts–, push the car a little –grunts more– sideways!".
    acket.

They need to have a kill switch to kill the engine once you have less than 1L of fuel then. Do this as if you’ve ran out of fuel.

It’d be a tremendous let down for the fans to see their driver win a race and then get DQ’d because of this…

I'm sure the engineers were muttering "fuck fuck fuck please have enough fuel" right before they took the sample. I have no doubt they know when it's borderline.

That’s what I’m saying. Either a kill switch or a reservoir that holds 1L of fuel that can’t be used by the engine… so that engineers don’t have to go fuck fuck fuck during inspection!

I can’t imagine if something like this happens to Hamilton or Max…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 1st, 2021 at 08:33 PM.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...s/6641069/amp/

Where have I been? This 1L rule has been around for a long time!!! I guess I just wasn’t paying enough attention…

Vettel has gotten into trouble before when he was with RB and got DQd during qualifying…

Apparently this fuel check rule isn’t always enforced. Just that if you choose to stop on the track during your cool down parade lap…, that will trigger FIAs suspicions and tag your car to be checked!

AM/Vettel should’ve learned their lessons to just casually drive their cars back to the pit and celebrate as if they got plenty of fuel left… chances are their cars won’t be inspected for fuel(as long as they’re still heavy enough…

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    They choose at random 3 cars for post quali and 3 cars for post race revisions. i think they're even told at the beginning of the weekend who's going to be facing what. Plus they're all subject to parc ferme weighs and measurements.
    acket.