Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homologation Special pics - attention YW

Shiny.

I need me a Yaris GRRRRR

AWWW YEEAAHHHHHHHH thanks mate!

So yummy!

If I could get a GR Yaris I would give it serious consideration.

Junior Potato
    So hot.

Here I am thinking that the Yaris is kinda cool (the other two I think are much, much cooler) but may have been better if it was based on a larger car like a Corolla instead.

But then, I look at the picture below and it is actually bigger than both of them. It's the 3-door hatch proportions that throw me off. What it really needs is more powah.

Sadly, we will never see the potential behind this car in full WRC spec. It's the vestigial remnant of an unfortunately-timed rule change, but at least a handful of lucky motorists may still benefit from that.

So you're telling me Toyota built an awesome rally car that won't race, again?

All signs point to the US getting a GR Corolla at some point, actually.

Junior Potato
    Yep. It was designed so that they could build a hotter WRC car, but COVID put a halt to their testing program early last year (in which they actually did build a GR Yaris WRC chassis) which meant that they wouldn’t have it ready for the 2021 season.

In the meantime a rule change for 2022 prevents it from competing next season. But they do have special dispensation to allow it to become the basis of an R5 production rally car so we will see it pedalled through forests around the world, just not in the peak format that the car was destined for.

Dat 22B cornering shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Dat 22B cornering shot.
    I know! That last pic... I was reading the story in the mag, I turned the page and just stopped, mouth agape, at that photo. Utterly compelling. To me these pics are easily as good as anything in evo's back catalogue. They skipped an issue over new year but it was well worth the wait!

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    All signs point to the US getting a GR Corolla at some point, actually.
    Unfortunately, all signs point to the GR Corolla being a slightly tarted up Corolla to compete with the Civic Si, Golf GTI and not bespoke nightmare fuel that is the GR Yaris.