Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forza Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I can't remember the last Forza I played. 2, maybe??
    I loved Forza 2, and spent a great deal of time on it... online racing, it was a decent community, and I played enough to be quite competitive. Since then, I've just never made the time, and declining interest. I enjoy being competitive, and if you don't put the time into it, that just isn't going to happen. That's both with tuning, and racing. The only thing I've really played the last few years, is Project Cars, against my boys. It will be interesting to see what these latest changes are.

I played Forza 1 thru 4 religiously. As other have said, not only did they have a much better way of providing online play via Xbox Live, but they actually had a game that had online play. GT5 wasn't released til 2010 and was the first GT game with universal online play. And if I remember the online play when it first released was a shit show as well.

Anyways....I skipped Forza 5 because it was a gimped game only released to coincide with the release of the Xbox One. But Forza 6 I thought was really well done and I had a great time with it. I haven't played Forza 7. I've come to the conclusion that for me to truly enjoy a car racing game like Forza, GT or ACC I need a wheel and seat, and until I get one I will only dabble in them. Forza Horizon or a new Tokyo Extreme Racer would be an exception as they are more arcade racers.

Forza 5 made me not want to get an XBox One at all. I just got a Wii U and was happy with it.

Then Forza 6 had so much content that I wanted, I made the leap, and had a lot of great times. I've had a lot fewer great times in Forza 7, but it's so similar to Forza 6 that I get them confused at times.
    Get that weak shit off my track

As you guys know, I played the heck out of the Forza series, but stopped just after 4 was released. I started racing on PC, and that is where I got my racing fix from then on.

Much later, I bought 6 on sale and played quite a bit of single-player career, just to collect cars, basically. Racing was just was not the same without a wheel. Plus, not many racers were playing it anymore, making it not possible to get an online game. Everyone else had moved on to 7 and Horizon 4 by that point.

I am pretty much full into iRacing now, so this new Forza would have to be a pretty damn good sim to get me to even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I am pretty much full into iRacing now, so this new Forza would have to be a pretty damn good sim to get me to even try it.
    I keep wavering back and forth on diving into the PC space. I'm just so used to the console experience of buying one static piece of hardware for 5+ years and not having to get any upgrades, and I don't know that I want to invest so much in virtual cars when I'm planning a big real car purchase.

I'm really hoping that Microsoft has seen the huge excitement and investment in PC sims, and the relative failure of and lack of interest in things like GRID and Project CARS 3, and go hard towards an accurate sim with lots of QoL things for hosting and participating in races. There is minor evidence for the QoL things (they have hinted at strong club/team support, to give expert/experienced players an easy way to share things with new players), but there's no way to know how serious they are about having PC-sim level physics.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motor...odel-20210528/

This article summarizes the discussion that starts at 29:00

- Tire contact patch is going from 1 point to 8, with no additional details on what those points are
    - In addition to tire types, there will be tire compounds
    - Players will be able to set fuel levels and choose tire compounds in pit stops (!!!)
    - Smoother driving surfaces, especially curbs
    - Track temp will affect tires
    - Another playtest will happen this summer

Watching the video now and taking any other minor notes:
    - The physics changes between 7 and 8 are bigger than the changes between 4 and 7.
    - The 8 points of tire contacts will refresh at 360 hz, instead of 60 hz for the one point previously
    - No mention of deformation to go with all this tire contact patch talk
    - Curbs can be approached with confidence because of the improvement in tire model and better road/curb fidelity
    - Really wants to keep hitting on it being Forza Motorsport, not Forza Motorsport 8, but the interviewer wants to keep saying "it's an evolution"
    - Hard, medium, and soft compounds currently, and want to add more in the future
    - Goal with tire compounds is deepening strategy, brings up F1
    - "A bunch of environmental factors that will change gameplay and really make each lap feel different": track temperature affects tire pressure, grip, and wear; time of day and weather changes
    - Playtests are very focused so they can get specific details, I think the one they've done so far has been multiplayer only
    - There will be another update after the summer playtest, they will get larger as they continue

Junior Potato
    Was there footage of the actual game to go along with it?

Administrator
    This feels like one of those things they'll pay no attention to, but now that I'm actually working through the single player races on GT:Sport, I'm reminded of it: The Forza economy is crap. You just don't earn nearly enough in credits from races, especially as you go up through the ranks. It was bad enough with F7 that that's what got me to quit playing, it was just an obnoxious grind. "Oh, here's a race series that requires a car that costs 1+ million credits, it's five races long, and you'll earn 10K per race." Meh.

Spend all the time you want chasing the sim-racing giants, but if you make it a huge pain in the ass for me to drive the cars I want to drive, I'll go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Was there footage of the actual game to go along with it?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Spend all the time you want chasing the sim-racing giants, but if you make it a huge pain in the ass for me to drive the cars I want to drive, I'll go elsewhere.
    I'm hoping they get rid of the economy completely, it's dumb earning money in single player to participate in online events.