Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 eff yeah

Junior Potato
    Ironical:

Presenting to the hospital because you have a procedure booked, but you have a respiratory infection that you suspect has morphed into tonsillitis.

"Sorry Sir, not today, as we are reluctant to put you under GA while you're in this condition."

I mean, in a perfect world, they could rip out my tonsils at one end while another team manipulates my busted knee at the other end and kill one bird with two stones.

That's OK, as my new sim rig is arriving today

Can't catch a break!

Junior Potato
    Too sick to go to hospital. Think about that!

But I got my racing seat built and I've been driving again. Took me all afternoon to get it set up, being as I am with one good leg and zero fitness from not being active for 4 months. I'm rusty at the wheel, but it feels good man.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/im...ash/index.html

An SUV packed with people pulled out in front of a semitruck towing two trailers in a rural California county near the Mexican border on Tuesday morning, leaving at least a dozen dead and others hospitalized, officials said.

Overhead video in Imperial County showed the brutal aftermath of the crash, with the jack-knifed semitruck smashed into the left side of a Ford Expedition. Both came to a rest off the side of a rural road about 10 miles north of the border.
    Hospital and police officials gave slightly different tallies of the injured and dead in the incident.
    California Highway Patrol Border Division Chief Omar Watson said at a morning briefing there were 25 occupants in the Expedition during the crash and that 13 died, including the driver

Ford Expedition has a payload capacity of around 1,800 lbs. Assuming all 25 occupants are children at 100 lbs each... we're talking about at least 2500 lbs! Each axle rating or each tire rating may be higher than 1800 lbs, but I kinda doubt they could hold that much weight for too long.

The SUV likely lost control in front of that semi truck. Based on that photo, the irresponsible driver is likely one of the dead.

Hope the survivors learned their lessons to not try that stunt again... don't know what else to say...

I'd guess it wasn't so much of a "Stunt" in the screwing around sense.
    We're probably getting into harvest season for a lot of stuff down there so it was likely either coyotes moving undocumented workers across the border or farm management transporting labor to/or between worksites.
    Therefore it was likely a bunch of poor people told to "get in" so they could earn a marginal living.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Yeah, didn't mean they were screwing around. Just saying hope the survivors learn to say 'no' to 'get in'. Better to have no work and starve for one day than getting killed that day...

Of course this could also be human trafficking so they probably had no choice or just didn't know what the hell was going on...

Administrator
    This definitely sounds a lot like undocumented farm workers being transported to worksites.

Junior Potato
    Has many of the hallmarks of a house fire which I think was in Sydney a few years ago. The dwelling was over-filled with immigrants who were being exploited for cheap labour. Over a dozen people died.

I lay the blame squarely on shitty immigration policy. It could have been prevented if they were given more protections and support, instead of letting them go on and be exploited in a strange country in a strange language.

Administrator
    LA Times are reporting that one of the usual hallmarks of laborers going to a worksite, lunchboxes, were nowhere to be found among the wreckage, and that there was a new big-enough-to-drive-an-Expedition-through hole in a nearby border fence, so this sounds like people being smuggled across the border.

I was thinking that anybody doing that would avoid the kinds of roads that would also see gravel truck traffic, but shows how much I know about the subject.