Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Photo Storage

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Just get a couple of 2-4TB drives for cheap. One for all your photos...and the other for all your photos

Redundancy if you are really serious.

I do photography as our family money making business and I have about 10 physical drives laying in a drawer with backups of backups.
    I don't have/use much physical memory. My phone is better than my camera now anyway.
    The few times I use the classic camera, my PC backs up to teh cloud automatically.

There's no real good way to do the opposite. I tried Takeouts and it's not user friendly at all.

I recently enabled an Apple app on my phone that required me signing into iCloud. I had not done it before and when I did, it deleted everything from my calendar. I understand that it probably synced from my iCloud, which was empty. It also automatically backed up my photos to iCloud, without me asking it to, or even knowing it was happening. Then, the phone gave me a message saying something to the effect of, "Your iCloud is full. Pay us to upgrade."

I'm like Joe, with redundant drives for backing things up. Won't help me if my house burns down. Yeah, it would suck if I could not recover my data, but my life would go on just fine. My most important things are not digital. :shrug:

Apple is notoriously bad with getting things synced correctly, back from the days when iTunes would see a new device and think "hey, you probably want me to delete all of your files rather than put them on this new thing". It's disappointing but not completely surprising that their issues continue.

Takeout is definitely designed for one-time exports, not as-you-go syncs. For a little bit of time they would sync Photos to Google Drive (after only going from Drive to Photos previously), and you could have a Drive folder sync locally, but apparently people complained that it was too confusing so they completely got rid of the link between Drive and Photos.

Question for the people who do offline backups only: how do you find things when you want to retrieve them? Do you just have to remember the date and look for that, or do you thoroughly tag/categorize/organize things when you're saving them?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Man, Apple still hasn't fixed that? I got the first iPod touch way back in the day and the first thing iTunes did was try to delete all my music. That pretty much got me off the Apple train for good, glad to hear it sounds like it was a reasonable decision.

I have never connected my iPhone to a computer. I have no reason to. I do not use my phone like Apple wants me to, or how even others use theirs. I do not use my phone as a media player. I use it as a phone/text device, to take photos for Instagram, to occasionally use Strava, and to play Gems of War. I've used this phone for years and, right now, only about half of it's 32GB capacity is being used. Although, Apple is using ~12GB of it as "System" and "Other." That is about double of all my apps and photos combined. WTF? Stupid Apple.

Administrator
    Heh, 17GB of my phone's storage is taken up by "System", so don't feel too bad.