Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

There are more articles on the goop. Apparently it is called Powerpaste, if you want to look into it.

"When it comes time to release the energy, a plunger mechanism extrudes the paste into a chamber where it reacts with water to release hydrogen at a dynamically controlled rate, which then feeds a fuel cell to create electrical power with which to run an EV powertrain or other device. Part of the paste's impressive energy density comes from the fact that half of the hydrogen released comes from the water it reacts with."

https://newatlas.com/energy/powerpas...en-fuel-paste/

So besides the paste, you need to carry additional water onboard? Water can be pretty heavy if it needs lots of water...

Can the overall system really be lighter and packed with more energy than batteries or the bulky hi pressure H2 tank... and also cheaper?

Lastly, hopefully the left over goo is reuseable?

Anyway, I guess Tesla doesn't have much to worry about in the short term.

I cant see it being lighter than hydrogen. Safer... well I still wouldnt want an accident and the goo is released and it gets wet.
    And Id also hope the left over goo is reuable. But either way when you "fill up", you need to empty the used goo. Id imagine that it probably would end up with two tanks, fresh goo and used goo. Maybe you just swap tanks, cant see anyone wanting to pump the goo in and out.
    Lastly - like most systems this is going to need infrastructure. Maybe a swap tanks needs less infrastructure, but its still not much use unless its widely available.
    And thats one of the big problems with so many different solutions - most need a min critical takeup to be viable.
    At least EV that can power from a domestic outlet can be used almost anywhere. Sure for long distance travel you want quick charge, but for 99% of the time they can just charge at home. Thats a huge plus over alternate fuels.

Oh - forgot to say, the synthetic fuel wouldnt need new distribution infrastructure since it just replaces existing petro fuels. Maybe relabel pumps.
    Needs all new production, but thats not a problem. And it doesnt even need to be in every country. It also means production could happen in places without oil reserves!

I was under the impression that the goo was for transportation and storage. And that it would be turned into traditional hydrogen for cars at a station. (shrug)

I love plugging our car in at night. It's 100% every morning, since we fill up a little bit at a time.

Junior Potato
    Yeah Kid I don't know why people always whinge about EV mileage, especially for city driving as it's so convenient. Something makes me think they never wanna give up petrol-powered vehicles for the heck of it. Here's a good link espousing the benefits.

EVs are great for doing the daily commute during an average week, the problem only arises when you're doing the "let's drive to the coast/Florida/grandparents/etc" trips.

Maybe it's 200+ miles, you just make it, and you have to figure out where to charge it while you wait. Does your location have at least a level 2 charger? If not then you might be screwed.

Maybe it's 500+ miles, and your 7 hour drive immediately turns into 8, and you still need to find a place to charge when you get there.

EV charging just isn't fast or common enough yet for the kind of "let's just go" simplicity that fossil fuel cars allow. But it's getting closer every year, so hopefully we'll be there soon enough.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I cant see it being lighter than hydrogen. Safer... well I still wouldnt want an accident and the goo is released and it gets wet.
    Doesn't Magnesium ignite when you don't accept its friend request?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    EVs are great for doing the daily commute during an average week, the problem only arises when you're doing the "let's drive to the coast/Florida/grandparents/etc" trips.

Maybe it's 200+ miles, you just make it, and you have to figure out where to charge it while you wait. Does your location have at least a level 2 charger? If not then you might be screwed.

Maybe it's 500+ miles, and your 7 hour drive immediately turns into 8, and you still need to find a place to charge when you get there.

EV charging just isn't fast or common enough yet for the kind of "let's just go" simplicity that fossil fuel cars allow. But it's getting closer every year, so hopefully we'll be there soon enough.
    Yes, long road trips are not great for EVs. Within the city doing errands and commuting, EVs for sure are way superior than ICE cars. I think EV chargers should also be bidirectional so that they could function as backup power supply at home.

Perhaps in the future we can integrate our power grid with the freeways. That way we don't have to worry about out power lines causing wild fires... and also EVs could perhaps also charge while traveling on such special freeways.

Anyway, one of the main reason I'd like to see this special fuel to succeed is because I want commercial jets to be able to use it as well. I don't think electric planes will be able to cross big oceans. Lastly in cold climates, your EV range will be severely reduced. You just cannot pack as much energy into batteries as fuel.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 10th, 2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I think EV chargers should also be bidirectional so that they could function as backup power supply at home.
    That's the Tesla Powerwall, effectively. Combined with solar, you get some very interesting looks at our potential future.
    Get that weak shit off my track