Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/p...lCbnsSUFdA11Sg

The Porsche Taycan may be one of the most exciting EVs on the market right now, but that doesn’t mean the German automaker is ready to give up on the combustion engine just yet.

The marque’s vice president Motorsport and GT cars, Dr. Frank Walliser, told British car magazine Evo that the company is hard at work on a synthetic fuel technology that could save traditional, gas-powered mills. The fuel won’t just reduce emissions, either; it has the potential to make combustion engines just as clean as their battery-powered counterparts, the executive said.

Walliser claims the company’s synthetic fuel, which will be called eFuel, can be used in any combustion engine and is scheduled to start undergoing testing next year. The fuel is less complex than traditional gas—eight to 10 components compared to 30 to 40—allowing it to burn cleaner, with fewer particulates and NOx. Because of this, the total carbon footprint of the vehicle will be equal to that of an EV.

-----------------------

First question being, what exactly is the cost of this synthetic rocket fuel?

Second of course, questioning the accuracy of the claims.

Interesting. This impossible fuel must not cost too much and must be able to back up their impossible claim in order to get Porsche and Mclaren onboard?

Hope this works out. Another benefactor might be commercial aviation. Not sure how we can still have trans oceanic flights without fossil fuel...

Yeah, I have my doubts. It will take energy to create the fuel, thus negating the "clean as EVs" claims. Again, I am married to a climate scientist. These type of claims are ridiculous marketing BS.

As if electricity and batteries spring forth from the earth effortlessly.

Well hydrogen is a pretty clean fuel. I’m thinking if they are talking about it publicly then it’s already being tested. I imagine it’s super expensive to produce though.

Well, most electricity comes from fossil fuels and hydrogen is a pain to get and keep in liquid form... so this sounds promising (yet vague and too optimistic).

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    [meme]latina-girl-why-not-both.gif[/meme]
    acket.

Please repost. I cannot see the latina girl.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    As if electricity and batteries spring forth from the earth effortlessly.
    I don't know if you were addressing me specifically, but this notion is not lost on me. I was not arguing that EVs were clean.

"...the total carbon footprint of the vehicle will be equal to that of an EV."

Which is to say, not very small, really.

The fact of the matter is, the world will need fossil fuel powered things for the foreseeable future.

While hydrogen can be used as a fuel, a lot of energy is used to refine it, which comes from, you guessed it, fossil fuels.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I read somewhere that hybrid plants with combined-cycle gas and solar-powered turbines technology (mirrors heat up a viscous solution inside a tower serpentine, gas burners keep it in movement during the cold hours) had a ROI slightly lower than nuclear. With lower social and environmental impacts.

IMHO, we need to have a vision of the energy inputs in transportation in a cradle-to-grave perspective and work out a plan that integrates a mix of solutions along the chain. For example, the new biosynth fuels do need energy to be produced, but, if we can link up hybrid power generation like the one described above with traditional liquefied or gas hydrocarbons and plant- or algae- based ethanes and come up with a solution where, at the end of the chain, each driven mile has a lower overall impact, we ought to go for that, as one of a few plans to not end up with newer version Mars on the Solar System.
    acket.